Mountain rifle 24-26" fluted barrel?

jeager

Mountain rifle 24-26\" fluted barrel?

Opening day Mule Deer is at the treeline in the Sierra Nevada. Thinking about the 25wssm or a 6.5 in titanium.
Advice on a sturdier bbl, balancing with a ~4-12 scope, and using my rucksack instead of a bipod?

After the first snow, I go into the woods w/ grandpas' M99 Savage!

Re: Mountain rifle 24-26\" fluted barrel?

The longer the barrel the better. The thicker the barrel the better, the heavier the gun the better. The other option would be a 25-06. It is a proven performer and easy to load for.

Word of advice on shooting off the rucksack. Lots (most, or all) guns are sensitive to the hardness of the foreend rest. When you flop your pack on the ground you never know what is going to be under the foreend. What I did (after missing a "gimmee at 500 yds") was to carry a rolled up towel to put between the foreend and the pack. The gun really liked it and would perform to perfection. Try not be be as stupid as me and let your wife catch you with one of the "good" towels. Dried deer blood does not come out of a cotton towel. And wives do not forget nor forgive that kind of deviant behavior.

P.S.

Sorry, did not notice you are a junior member. Everywhere I said wife just think Mom. Moms are a lot more forgiving than wives.

[ QUOTE ]

P.S.
Sorry, did not notice you are a junior member. Everywhere I said wife just think Mom. Moms are a lot more forgiving than wives.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BB, I think that "junior member" is his post count. Not his age. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Is that right?

Well, he would still be better off to get one of his Mom's towels than his wife's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Well, he would still be better off to get one of his Mom's towels than his wife's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I have a custom in .340Wby that weighs 7lbs with a 4-12x50 Swarovski scope on it. I have a #2 Lilja barrel on mine but you could easily do a #4 and flute it and only add a pound. I shoot off my pack for most shots over 300yds.

My concern with the weight of a longer, fluted barrel is balance.
I figure I'm trading the weight of the bipod for a better(?)barrel.
What choice of a scope and mounts will best balance this configuration?
What is the thinnest fluted barrel I can get for something up to 7mm?
As for the towels, I'll have to wait 'til Thanksgiving to procure a "guest towel" at Moms'.
Girlfriend jealously guards hers' after she caught me massaging her Volvo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

c'mon!

A 270wsm or 7mm/08 might be my answer, but there's something ethnic about my choice of 6.5

Will a certain scope balance this rig?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.