More Speed

chain

I have been working on a load for my .300 win mag. I had 200 gr Accubonds grouping sub 1/2 MOA.However when I chronoed them Iwas only gettting around 2700 ( 200 gr Accubond and 76,5 gr of H 1000) Any thoughts on getting more speed without sacrificing accuracy too much. Some say drop bullet weight. I am trying 180's and maybe soem 165's but I feel I should be able to shoot the 200's at least 2900. I should mention that I have a 22" barrel, yes 22". I will re barrel in the future but I am trying to get ready for Nov in MT. All suggestions gladly accepted. Thanks

Why? speed isnt everything. the elk or deer wont know the difference. If it is a accurite load then stick with it. At 500 yards the speed will only net you @ 3/4 moa thats easy to correct for.

d-a

Being greener than grass at this I was concerned about having enough down range energy and also compensating for the trajectory. If I don't find a better loasd,I will use this load and keep my range limited to not beyond 300. Will this be enough at 300? I wish the groups didn't open as I put more powder in because I was impressed with the one hole.

You've got enough energy to kill any deer in NA as far as you can accuratly shoot. 5-6-7-800 yds will be no problem if you can hit it.

Good I think I can hit them to 350 or so but I have never shot at one farther than that. I don't think I will try this fall either. I will just try to get closer. Thanks for the info

you will have more than enough energy for Elk at 300yds like Bill said even out to 800yds.
That bullet has a great BC for a hunting bullet and will drift alot less than the 180 or 165 gr bullets in wind even if the lighter bullets are started faster.

But , you can try some R-22 and Vihtavuori N-560. The latter powder has been proven to be hard on barrels but for a deer and elk gun that is shot less than a couple hundered time a year its great stuff and since you gonna rebarrel anyway this will help speed the process.

But like it was mentioned speed isin't everthing cause no
matter what , "you can miss em fast enough to kill em"

[ QUOTE ]
But , you can try some R-22 and Vihtavuori N-560. The latter powder has been proven to be hard on barrels

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but for some of us (Run Forrest Run), that's a bonus (we can re-barrel sooner).

In my SS Sendero,180g nosler BT- 75.5g of R#22 @ 3050 fps with a fed 215 using Rem brass shot 1/2" groups after I had a muzzle break installed on the rifle. This load has shot well in several rifles.

71.0g of IMR 4350 shoots real well in my friends 300 WM. Work up to these loads, you know how lot# of powder can vary.

Good luck!

That is what I was shooting Nosler Parts with the protected point, I was going to increase it a bit. I am not getting that speed due to my barrel length. I had a good time this weekend with some 180 SGK's and IMR 4831, speed was acceptable and a couple groups were one holers. I might be heading that way. I was around 5/8" and about 2950 fps. Further testing this week @ 100 and 200 yds. I want to try some 7828 but I will wait until after season. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.