More cold weather effect speculation

Calvin45

Hi all, as some of you know I've had an itch for a while to test loads in true extreme cold (-40 c - around that point Fahrenheit and celcius are the same, -40 either way). It does usually get that cold a few times per winter where I live in Saskatchewan, but anything below -30 celcius will do. Just never have time
On the right day.

Anyways….I've had another theoretical musing to run by you, and this to do with "overstabalization". I know that's a contentious word, but I also know it's a real problem in my experience. Varmint bullets 6.5mm and under seem to do fine accuracy wise even at ungodly high rpms, but larger bores struggle more. I got a load for my .300 win mag pushing a 120 Barnes tac tx (orig a 300 blk bullet) at 4050 fps. It's minute of whitetail accurate to 400 yards as I found last November with two successful hunts. But it never realized particularly good accuracy compared to heavier slugs moving slower. Rifle is a 10 twist. After fiddling with other variables I realized that the forum members here were right: it was simply spinning way too hard for full accuracy potential to be realized, or "overstable".

NOW: it's well known that you need more stability a) at lower elevation and b) at lower temperatures SO……do y'all think the groups might tighten up with an excessively fast-for-projectile twist rate at crazy high velocity when shooting in extreme cold, because the bullet will be comparatively less over-stabilized that it was in July during load work up???? Never had this thought till today.

There is no such thing as overstable.
You won't get an accuracy improvement with lower stability conditions -due to lower stability.
If your inaccuracy is somehow due to excessive spin rate, and you have the same spin rate, then you haven't solved that.
Thanks for participating, was wondering if anyone was gonna even read this haha.

Agree to disagree on the existence of "overstable" but much like hydraulic/hydrostatic/hydrodynamic (and whatever other hydro word y'all can think of) definitions differ and it's just a contentious subject. Perhaps I'll post a seperate thread about whether people think it's real and how they'd define it.

Why is it, do you think, that larger caliber cartridges are more oversensitive to faster than necessary twist rates with light for caliber projectiles (they certainly are). Just a matter of amplifying inconsistencies in the concentricity of the bullet?

Barnes is a swaged bullet, try a lathe turned mono and if you want explosive use one of the softer monos like Cutting Edge or Hammer, not a hard alloy like Barnes and you will get more velocity to boot as the hard alloy pressures up faster due to more engraving pressure.

I'm not sure of your accuracy needs, but the issue may be more bullet than twist. The 124 Hammer Hunters have been driven faster from .300 RUM's with good results terminally, and accurately.

Barnes is a swaged bullet, try a lathe turned mono and if you want explosive use one of the softer monos like Cutting Edge or Hammer, not a hard alloy like Barnes and you will get more velocity to boot as the hard alloy pressures up faster due to more engraving pressure.
Crossed in cyberspace. Your post is more complete.

Never though of that…didn't know Barnes was swaged (or that such would work). Interesting…. Like I always tell new members I learn something new here all the time

Why is it, do you think, that larger caliber cartridges are more oversensitive to faster than necessary twist rates with light for caliber projectiles (they certainly are). Just a matter of amplifying inconsistencies in the concentricity of the bullet?
A larger diameter bullet jacket is traveling further per turn. A bigger wobble from jacket thickness variance. Other bullet core defects could be further from centerline. The bigger bore may torque more.

A larger diameter bullet jacket is traveling further per turn. A bigger wobble from jacket thickness variance. Other bullet core defects could be further from centerline. The bigger bore may torque more.
That makes sense.

Of course I'm still itching to try this out (don't get me wrong though, I ain't longing for winter to come back anytime soon!!!)

I don't think it will increase accuracy. I believe over spinning has more to do with the structural limitations of the bullet than it has to do with atmospheric conditions.

I live in a cold climate and experiment with cold weather loads. Mostly .223 rem and .308 win off season practice stuff. I havent messed with launching light bullets at Mach Jesus in cold weather.

here's an idea of what me "doing science" might look like haha

Attachments

• 48C2E11F-9DD9-48C4-BFA5-A5FCE2543D29.png
    48C2E11F-9DD9-48C4-BFA5-A5FCE2543D29.png
    607.3 KB · Views: 45