Moose Down 778m

I understand. The issue I had with it was pressure spikes. If I loaded it up to max to get that little extra velocity, what was fine today would be too hot with a stiff bolt next week. Even in the same lot. It just seemed to have pressure spikes when running close to max. I preferred H-1000 as it seemed to be the same powder all the time, every time, if you use the same lot.

jeff
I've tried a lot of powders over the years loading for thirty different rifles and 7 different calibers and H-1000 is the most consistent powder I've ever used. Lots of powders can be just flat temperamental as all get out with wild shifts in pressure signs and velocities depending on environmental factors but H-1000 just seems to never have a bad day.

I understand. The issue I had with it was pressure spikes. If I loaded it up to max to get that little extra velocity, what was fine today would be too hot with a stiff bolt next week. Even in the same lot. It just seemed to have pressure spikes when running close to max. I preferred H-1000 as it seemed to be the same powder all the time, every time, if you use the same lot.

jeff

I don't doubt your experience at all Jeff, but it's very interesting to me that I have not experienced the spiking at all with my loads and I run mine at red line or close to it. You no doubt have burned a lot more Retumbo than me. What time frame did you experience this? Could it have been a bad batch? I think I remember reading a couple months ago about a couple of cases where guys were getting "caking' in their case with compressed or near compressed loads.

I don't doubt your experience at all Jeff, but it's very interesting to me that I have not experienced the spiking at all with my loads and I run mine at red line or close to it. You no doubt have burned a lot more Retumbo than me. What time frame did you experience this? Could it have been a bad batch? I think I remember reading a couple months ago about a couple of cases where guys were getting "caking' in their case with compressed or near compressed loads.

Along these lines, has there been any in-depth discusssion on whether the lie/packing of the powder in the case can influence velocity/pressure significantly? This has been a concern of mine as I transit via boat for a couple of hours in rough water and have noticed spikes after that in my 300. I don't run compressed loads with H4831SC and there is a significant amout of powder movement in the case. I wonder if it packs on one side and burns differently.

Eli

Mark. it was 4 to 5 years ago and prior. Back when I was loading 30-378's, 338-378's, 378's and 340's a lot. None were compressed loads and yes it was from more than one lot over a few years.

Jeff

Along these lines, has there been any in-depth discusssion on whether the lie/packing of the powder in the case can influence velocity/pressure significantly? This has been a concern of mine as I transit via boat for a couple of hours in rough water and have noticed spikes after that in my 300. I don't run compressed loads with H4831SC and there is a significant amout of powder movement in the case. I wonder if it packs on one side and burns differently.

Eli

Were the spikes with 4831 or Retumbo?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, no it wasn't dependent on temp. For example, I shoot an average of 2887 fps at 59f and 2812 at 35f. When I test a load I chill it for 12 hrs at ambient outside temp, so have a pretty good idea of what it shoots. After going through my log again, I generally have fairly stable muzzle velocities except for about 1 in 7 that is approx 100 fps high. I'm pretty sure the first shot on the moose was one of those. Too many variables at this point. Once I get the new chrono, and start loading with Norma instead of Win brass, I'll be able to narrow things down a bit. If my internal capacity varies as much as the externals of the Win brass did, that may well be the problem. Have another long cold winter to get it right... Probably over thinking things right now.

Yup. I take it they're not reliable? Before that it was an RCBS chrono that I'm pretty sure read about 30 fps slow. Shot through both at the same time multiple times to test. I've always thought it was the weakest link so was happy to hear your recommendation for the Magneto Speed.

I would not trust the Chrony especially those foul balls that jumped 100 fps. I have 3 Chrony's and they are all wrong. The Oehler 35 really opened my eyes to what a good chronograph can do. I used my Oehler to verify the Magneto speed. A high percentage of the shots I see go high are from a rear bag that is not down and tight or is simply to soft. Not saying this was your problem at all. Just offering what I have problems with.

Jeff

You may well be right Jeff. I'll have 3 months of Lake Trout fishing and long range shooting on the East Arm of Great Slave Lake over the summer to semi-perfect things. It's the middle of nowhere, so I'll do my usual and set up on one island and shoot to another. With the Magneto Speed, I'll be able to chrono all my long range practice shots in the field. Going to be a great summer. Just have to get through the winter. Rule of thumb on the East Arm is a 10 lbs Lake Trout every 10 minutes running 2 downriggers. This one's from last summer.

Attachments

• Eli Trout 23 lbs.jpg
    Eli Trout 23 lbs.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 66
How'd I miss this? We got a lot in common. Still into the LT and the LRH? I suppose I disappointed my parents; they told I'd grow out of such things. Sad they're gone, but I'll be a septuagenarian in October and the addictions gone metastatic 'cause I'm worse than ever...

Great read. Looking for more.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts