Montana Rifleman barreled action help??

Agunner012

I was thinking of buying a barreled action from Montana Rifleman, in 300 WSM. Given a choice of their barrel twists in 30 cal (8, 10, 12 Twist) what would you recommend? I would probably go with a 30" length to get the most from the 300 WSM.

What twist would you guys suggest for shooting out to 1K. Was hoping for 11 twist but they don't offer it. It will be used for target and varmint shooting for now, and not carried much.

Thanks
Andrew

Agunner012,

If you will be using 220 to 250 gr VLd and ULD designs I would certainly go with the 1-9" twist.

For everything else, I would use a 1-10 standard twist.

Since you will be shooting 1k ranges, the slower BR style twists will be of little use for you.

THe 1-10 will accurately shoot anything from the lightest .308" bullets up to the big 200 gr VLDs for sure, I have even seen some 1-10's shoot the 220 gr pills pretty darn well.

THe real big boys will need the 1-9 though.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby,

I thought that the 10 twist for for the real heavy bullets, knowning it will stabilize the lighter ones is a plus.

What do you think about the Montana 1999 Actions?

Andrew

[ 11-02-2004: Message edited by: Agunner012 ]

Andrew,
I would be careful of the Montana Rifleman actions. I have built 7 of them now, 1 lh mag ss, 5 rh cs, 1 rh mag cs. I have had nothing but problems with them. I really try not to say anything bad about others in the business, but I will list a few of the problems I have seen. I have not had even 1 of the 7 actions with axis of the barrel shank / bolt body in the center of the action, the worst one was .052" out of center. The actions are suposed to accept Winchester scope bases, I have not had one that would accept a 1 pc base. The rear deck height for the rear scope base is off in elevation as much as .080"and they were all different some were to high in the rear some were low. The bottom metal is not even close to fitting a stock inleted for a M70 and the action leaves a space of about .060 in the rear of the action between it and the alluminum action cradle on a HS Pprecision for a M70. This is very disappointing because I had high hopes for the action It has great design ideas but poor execution in my opinion. Check it out and talk to who ever you are going to have build the rifle about some of these issues. I will not build another one.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.