Montana Rifle Company - Opinions?

jrg_80

I have a opportunity to buy a MRC 280AI brand new and was wanting some feedback on quality, accuracy, durability, etc etc.
Not going to get my feelings hurt by the UGLY truth as I'd rather pass on a "problem" then spend the money and find out about it later. Thanks

jrg

I had one that I ordered thru their custom shop. Fit and finish was beautiful, however the magazine was very restrictive for a handloader especially for a .300 Win. To make things even more challenging the chamber was deep throated. Swapping components and finding components is not as simple as a Remington/ clone so I ended up selling it.
Where you are looking at a .280 AI you might not be as restricted as I was, and if you plan on sticking with factory loads this is a mute subject. However, if you are a handloader you might take an extra look at the mag and the chamber throat.
As far as accuracy goes my rifle shot in the 1" range.

They have stopped doing business. I understand they are looking for someone to infuse some cash or buy the company. I have 2 of their actions and built customs. Very happy with them. I have a new 6.5 cm factory rifle. It was a chore to get it and was delayed by 6 months. It does shoot ok. If it is what you wanted and the price was good I might buy it. Understanding there is no warranty.

I had one that I ordered thru their custom shop. Fit and finish was beautiful, however the magazine was very restrictive for a handloader especially for a .300 Win. To make things even more challenging the chamber was deep throated. Swapping components and finding components is not as simple as a Remington/ clone so I ended up selling it.
Where you are looking at a .280 AI you might not be as restricted as I was, and if you plan on sticking with factory loads this is a mute subject. However, if you are a handloader you might take an extra look at the mag and the chamber throat.

Thanks for the information. The parts and components being a challenge to find is kind of a turnoff.....not to mention that calling customer service for directions might be a challenge as well seeing as they recently closed up shop.

jrg

Depends on the price you can get it for. They were either tack-drivers or just so-so. If you can get it cheap enough to make any after purchase work on your dime worthwhile, it might be worth it. If the seller wants close to retail, I'd pass on it.

Montana's 1999 action is a very well thought out combination of design features from Winchester M70 and Mauser M98 actions. The 1999 action is an excellent choice as a starting point for a custom build.

Unfortunately, MRC really sucked at quality control for their factory rifles, and let some really bad examples leave the factory.

I have 4 MRC rifles. Two from the early 2000's and two from the 2019 time frame. Of the 4 rifles, one of the later ones came with ugly machining marks across the tops of both action bridges, and both later ones had crooked barrel throats. The one with machining marks was replaced by the retailer. MRC quickly swapped out the crooked-throat barrel with a new one. Based on my experience with them, I would buy another only if I could personally inspect the rifle myself, including running a bore scope into the barrel to check for a crooked throat.

Not that MRC ever had much for customer service, but since they have stopped production, you are definitely on your own to remedy any problems the gun may have.

That being said, they are a very nice rifle if you get one that can pass a QAQC inspection.

Montana X3 in 26 Nosler

First load tried

Last edited:

Had a rifle barrel built by them and installed by them, yet when I recieved it you could not begin to close the bolt when trying to put a shell in. Impossible and not even close. Never again.

I have a MRC AVR in 35 Whelen. A beautiful rifle and it shoots very accurate. 5 shot group all bullet holes over lap at 100 yards with Nosler partitions 225gr. Nosler factory loads and my hand loads with same bullet. I have only shot my MRC rifle no others, I have looked at others and they were all very good but personally can't say how others shot. The dealer I ordered mine through keep some MCR rifles in stock and usually had trouble keeping them in stock as they would sell that fast. Every one he had sold his customers came back praising their accuracy. This is in Montana so maybe they made shore Montana got good rifles, who knows.

I have two, both of which had one hole tests of three shots at one hundred yards. One is 6.5 x 284 and one is .30-06. I truly love them and they are my go to rifles for most game.

Bought MRC 1999 in stainless in 7 Mag, removed the bolt looked into the action and found white plastic bedding material in the action where the claw extractor is and was causing a binding against the bolt. Think they missed it during the QC inspection, took me awhile to chip it out.

I have a opportunity to buy a MRC 280AI brand new and was wanting some feedback on quality, accuracy, durability, etc etc.
Not going to get my feelings hurt by the UGLY truth as I'd rather pass on a "problem" then spend the money and find out about it later. Thanks

jrg
I have 2 customs on they're actions and their great for a controlled round feed! Not a win70. But both are Cerakoted so I can't expect the smoothness. I have a Montana 99 X2 6xc, a tad heavy in the stock but a shooting s.o.b. I don't think any handload broke 1/2" no matter what bullet or speed I pushed it to. I did have to wait about 4 months for it but ordered it just after reading an article in field&stream. I was informed by the sales dept. about the wait time as they were built to order. Anyone who is upset over a few months wait on a rifle obviously never had to wait 6-14 months for a barrel. I have a custom 280AI on a Montana action but really have no use for it as I have 2 7mm mags. Good luck with it that's my experience with Montana 100% positive, but I've heard others complaints .

Well I live very close to the MR factory and the guys there are real good guys.. Have three of their barrels . all put on in their shop at the conner of #2 & Reserve street in Evergreen, Montana.
They all work really good . all are wildcats ranging from 6.5 to 416 they are as good are better than all the others ones I own.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.