moly coating?????

Hex boron is applied to a perfectly clean bore. This means perfectly clean. No cleaning solvents. Just bare clean metal. Then sterilize the bore with alcohol. When you get the Hex Boron from bulletcoatings.com it will have the directions of the Hex and alcohol mixture to swab in your bore.

Take the powder and put a 10 scoops of powder in a LARGE pill bottle (500 Tylenol) and a 10 tablespoons of #6 shot. Tumble for 3 hours. Wipe off bullets and work your loads up starting from your previous Maximum.

When you clean the carbon out of your bore recoat the barrel with the same alcohol/Hex solution. NO POI WILL HAPPEN!

There might be a few articles in the Inet. If there is read them and see what others success has been.

I built one of the first 26 Noslers before the Nosler rifles were even on the market. I burnt a well known manufactures barrel out in 400 hot rounds. I Rebarreled with a Nitrided Lothar Barrel, Hex coated the barrel and bullets. The rifle is now on 2300 rounds

I have been thinking about this stuff for a while but this is the best hands on info I have seen. I have a couple of new barrels which are going on this spring and I am thinking instead of melonite, I may give this a try. These are some pretty impressive results.............Rich

Hex boron is applied to a perfectly clean bore. This means perfectly clean. No cleaning solvents. Just bare clean metal. Then sterilize the bore with alcohol. When you get the Hex Boron from bulletcoatings.com it will have the directions of the Hex and alcohol mixture to swab in your bore.

Take the powder and put a 10 scoops of powder in a LARGE pill bottle (500 Tylenol) and a 10 tablespoons of #6 shot. Tumble for 3 hours. Wipe off bullets and work your loads up starting from your previous Maximum.

When you clean the carbon out of your bore recoat the barrel with the same alcohol/Hex solution. NO POI WILL HAPPEN!

There might be a few articles in the Inet. If there is read them and see what others success has been.

I built one of the first 26 Noslers before the Nosler rifles were even on the market. I burnt a well known manufactures barrel out in 400 hot rounds. I Rebarreled with a Nitrided Lothar Barrel, Hex coated the barrel and bullets. The rifle is now on 2300 rounds

Do you think barrel life is increased at all with just HBN, or was all the increase due to the walther plus melonite?...........rich

Do you think barrel life is increased at all with just HBN, or was all the increase due to the walther plus melonite?...........rich
I contribute very little to the Hex Boron, I am sure that it adds to better barrel life after the first 10 inches of barrel length, BUT the gasses eroding the lands are the greatest contributor of barrel life.

I have rarely used Walther barrels due to I have found them to be very hard to machine, They use a very hard alloy of steel that is resistant to erosion, better than any other barrel. They are a really accurate barrel when done right but they do not give the velocity of the Broughton 5c.

Just my findings of 50 years of doing this for a living....I AM RETIRED do not contact me to do any personal projects...I am not a sponsor here. I am now just a enthusiast.

I contribute very little to the Hex Boron, I am sure that it adds to better barrel life after the first 10 inches of barrel length, BUT the gasses eroding the lands are the greatest contributor of barrel life.

I have rarely used Walther barrels due to I have found them to be very hard to machine, They use a very hard alloy of steel that is resistant to erosion, better than any other barrel. They are a really accurate barrel when done right but they do not give the velocity of the Broughton 5c.

Just my findings of 50 years of doing this for a living....I AM RETIRED do not contact me to do any personal projects...I am not a sponsor here. I am now just a enthusiast.

So which steel of Walther Barrel did you go with? I see they have different kinds.
Did they coat it for you?

Walther has 3 barrels they offer. Unless they have changed since the last time I used them, they were all 3 the harder steel. You definitely want their hardest . Keep in mind I almost always use the Broughton 5c unless it is a extreme overbore cartridge.
Nitriding HAS TO BE done after you chamber the barrel. I just as soon have it installed on the action and have the action and barrel nitrided at the same time. I recommend to have the bolt nitrided also. This will be the smoothest action you have ever operated.
It is almost impossible to get the barrel dirty with copper or wear it out.

Walther has 3 barrels they offer. Unless they have changed since the last time I used them, they were all 3 the harder steel. You definitely want their hardest . Keep in mind I almost always use the Broughton 5c unless it is a extreme overbore cartridge.
Nitriding HAS TO BE done after you chamber the barrel. I just as soon have it installed on the action and have the action and barrel nitrided at the same time. I recommend to have the bolt nitrided also. This will be the smoothest action you have ever operated.
It is almost impossible to get the barrel dirty with copper or wear it out.

Is it a Salt-Bath Nitrided process that you do?

Salt bath nitriding and Meloniting is pretty much the same. Joel Kendrick and a few others cater to the shooting industry for the application.. Nitriding steel has been around for a long time. Most impact sockets are nitrided for strength and High performance cranks etc. in the racing industry all use the nitriding process for durability and its hardening process.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.