Model 70 rifle build

I went down the photobucket road once. I upload straight from my phone now. I couldn't get the other way to work at all. I think I just hit the paper clip icon and it takes you to the right place. Let's see the model 70 winmag!

I went down the photobucket road once. I upload straight from my phone now. I couldn't get the other way to work at all. I think I just hit the paper clip icon and it takes you to the right place. Let's see the model 70 winmag!

Ha!
Forget it. I'm just calming down from my last semi annual trek into Techy Hell.
You wanna see some pics, PM me your email or cell number. I can send em pretty easy to either of those. But I'm not goin down the pics/LRH road again.

image.jpg

Winchester Model-70 Long action
Squared/trued
Fluted bolt, & lapped
#4 taper Fluted Hart 10 twist
Jim See Mini Muscle Brake
300WSM throated for 200gr Accubonds
Feed ramp honed
Bolt stop moved
Rails massaged
Leupold 20MOA rail
Leupold PWR rings (Medium)
Leupold 4.5-14x40 Tactical, A/O ("grandfather of the Mk.4)
Leupold Custom Shop Varmint Hunters Reticle
Leupold shade tube
2.3lb Factory Trigger re-worked
2 tone CeraKote on all metal
Pillar Bedded Walnut stock, painted to match with CeraKote
Barbed Wire Camo dipped stock & scope.
Limb Saver Recoil Pad
Harris Bi-Pods
& my old leather sling from when I was 13.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Wife did it in 2 freakin seconds.....
I'm an idiot. But she taught me how, so hopefully I don't forget.
Sorry it's 3 posts long. Never said I fully grasped the concept....

I'm a big fan of the Model 70 controlled round feed action for the reasons mentioned, and have owned a bunch over the past 40 years. Never cared for the push feed models much. The early year models had sloppy bolts, and the extractor design was weak on all of them. There is a WATCH OUT with the post 64 CRF actions. Unlike the pre 64 bolt which had a forged one piece handle/bolt assembly, the post 64 CRF models have a two piece design in which the bolt handle is press fitted to the bolt body with a sleeve. I'm not sure if this was corrected in the later production years, but the sleeve can come loose and cause the bolt handle to slip. Generally, they will operate with no problems, but I have seen a few that failed, rendering the bolt inoperable. It can be easily addressed, and is a good safe guard to have a gunsmith weld the sleeve/bolt handle to the bolt body.

I am building for myself a .264 Win Mag on Pre-64 Model 70, with a 26" Muller Works #5, Fluted Sporter, 1:877, 4 groove. The factory trigger has been replaced with a Jewell trigger. The Stock will be a McMillian Winchester Varminter. The Model 70 is a heavier action than the Remington 700. It has a flat bottom and integral recoil lug. Every Pre-64 I have built was a real shooter.
Nat Lambeth

Maiden voyage. I still have to do the rest of the barrel break in and I've been looking at load data for 208 amaxes with either 210m or 215m primers and h4350,h1000, or 4831.

Any combo suggestions ? In particular any one have experience with the 26" tube?

Attachments

• 20130817_190325.jpg
    20130817_190325.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.