MOA to MIL - did you switch?

Barrelnut agreed with ol' Cummings up there who can't managed his own recoil, so that adds doubt to sound advise.
And the quip about dismissing what dog rocket was talking about might add more doubt depending on context unless his way is "better" without mathing.

So I don't know what you or he think are facts. Thats why I'm asking. You're agreeing with a dude about something that you PROBABLY not familiar with yourself and you SOUND like you think that doping the wind and mathing it is incorrect, on a forum that for the most part that know nothing about wind doping at long/extreme range.

I'm willing to bet dog is talking about a short wind table based on 1000y, it's fast and it works. It can be trued to you and your gun using ballistic software at first, but it accounts for elevation and MV considerations that other methods don't.
The wind formula that Todd Hodnett teaches?

I used it for awhile, but having no two scopes alike it fell to the wayside, now I use 10mph wind charts and divide/multiply for the speed/angle, allows me to use all the scopes without getting my panties in a twist about what's better.

I know some guys who took rob furlongs lr course, came back and replaced all their scopes with ffp/mil scopes. Wish I'd known about it, I would've picked up a good used mark 4 lol
Regardless of credentials there's plenty of ways to skin a cat. If you learn what the distance is between crosshairs and the thicker part on a duplex, convert it to MILS or Moa and start making wind calls, but reticles with Moa or MILS is much better than that

I used it for awhile, but having no two scopes alike it fell to the wayside, now I use 10mph wind charts and divide/multiply for the speed/angle, allows me to use all the scopes without getting my panties in a twist about what's better.

I know some guys who took rob furlongs lr course, came back and replaced all their scopes with ffp/mil scopes. Wish I'd known about it, I would've picked up a good used mark 4 lol
Regardless of credentials there's plenty of ways to skin a cat. If you learn what the distance is between crosshairs and the thicker part on a duplex, convert it to MILS or Moa and start making wind calls, but reticles with Moa or MILS is much better than that

No, Todd Hodnetts wind formula is good, just does not account for elevation changes and you have to jump your BC constant to account for velocity bleed off. Honestly it's probably good enough for most.

What I'm talking about is similar to what you are talking about probably. how I know it is calculating your 90 degree wind and determining at what mph is equal to .5 at 500y or 1 mil at 1000.
So if you have a wind of 8 mph = 1 mil at 1000y that should leave table looking like .2 at 200 .6 at 600 and so on with an 8 mph wind. So my 16 mph wind at 600 would be 1.2 my 4 mph wind is at 600 is .3 etc. add .1 for spin and so forth.
You can do wind angles and such for a 16 mph wind at half value, you take the 1.2 then divide by 2 in example.

Last edited:

this doesn't surprise me. look I just try to keep it all interesting around here. there is a saying that consensus isn't science. the bottom line with everything I have tried to say is that there should be distinct differences in range/competition scopes, vs hunting scopes. There are different uses. Every optic is a compromise of something. as much as I bash mils including the people that say they are the only thing to use. Even I concede they are the best choice most likely with FFP scopes. as much as I hate FFP and have no use for them. Even I concede its what you want on higher powered scopes, 6-24, 5-30x etc.

but those uses I concede FFP and mil is the way to go are for situations that aren't for hunting. you simply can't give up low power reticle visibility in a hunting scope. I don't want to tote my gun around with my scope set to 7 or 8x, I want 3x or 4x for a quick unplanned shot, an animal that appears maybe moving at 150 yards,

there is such thing as tactical elitism, as to which system is better it just depends on your use of the scope. but I would say this its a hunting forum, so I would expect advice slanted toward hunting. snipers hide will give you tactical/PRS/ competition shooting advice, ITS DIFFERENT and should be!

Cummins, you say " there should be distinct differences in range/competition scopes, vs hunting scopes. There are different uses" The object is to hit the target in the spot you aim for, be it animal, steel tock or paper so what's different about that?

Cummins, you say " there should be distinct differences in range/competition scopes, vs hunting scopes. There are different uses" The object is to hit the target in the spot you aim for, be it animal, steel tock or paper so what's different about that?

if you only shoot at the gun range you wouldn't know. I hunt public lands in The west.

No, Todd Hodnetts wind formula is good, just does not account for elevation changes and you have to jump your BC constant to account for velocity bleed off. Honestly it's probably good enough for most.

What I'm talking about is similar to what you are talking about probably. how I know it is calculating your 90 degree wind and determining at what mph is equal to .5 at 500y or 1 mil at 1000.
So if you have a wind of 8 mph = 1 mil at 1000y that should leave table looking like .2 at 200 .6 at 600 and so on with an 8 mph wind. So my 16 mph wind at 600 would be 1.2 my 4 mph wind is at 600 is .3 etc. add .1 for spin and so forth.
You can do wind angles and such for a 16 mph wind at half value, you take the 1.2 then divide by 2 in example.
Yeah basically the same

I have my own range on the farm & practice with a Savage Mk II that I bedded & accurized as I shoot about 10k rds per year mostly golf balls or 1.5" steel eggs at 300 yards with a 22lr using cheap Aguila & CCI SV 22lr. It has about 100k thru it & I have better guns but it wil shoot .200 at 100 yds. I can only shoot 1000 yards here but have 7mm Mag, 300 RM, 6.5-300 WBY & 3-338 Lapuas for the southwest, no problen out to 3000 yards on steel 2'x2'. Here it's 308, 6 & 6.5 CM, 204 Ruger & 7mm-08. I also love 45/70 & shot many bear with a 45/70 T/C Contender pistol. PM your # & I'll come shoot/hunt with you next fall. I'm even a Cummins fan with the last month they made 12 valve 5.9 in a 12' flat bed duelly with 115k orig miles but travel & camp in a '93 E350 Ambo with the last full year of the 7.3 IDI with 88k miles & 3 gun lockers & set up to reload. I'd be there now but my wife just had serious surgery. I've been to 1 gun range in my life.

I am still MOA. I shoot in PRS, NRL22 and hunt. In the PRS arena I can definitely see the value of MIL, no need to elaborate for the informed. NRL22, MOA works just fine. When it comes to hunting I'm just not feeling the need to lug a 15# rig around with a 5-25X56 (or whatever) optic on it. If I want to "snipe stuff" I'll snipe yotes or steel (yea yea I know its a "long Range Hunting site" but I like to hunt not snipe). So hunting with shots out to under 500y, MOA works just fine.

I started in the USMC with mils and the 7.62x51 caliber. Post sevice, several years later I started purchasing Moa gear. Now that I have all MOA ,I see no reason or advantage to switch back. I am not a high speed operator any more if I ever was. I was however very proficient with the M40A1 and 10 power unertl.

Last edited:
Both are good just a different ruler. For a while Mils had better turrets then some scopes mixed Mils & MOA knobs & reticle but now good scopes are great with either so pick one & try it, it's not like you married it. SWFA has a great deal on their SS line. One of the toughest made & super cheap. They are fixed power 30mm tube from 6x to 20x. ook at the reticle pics & pick a power & buy one. With the sale & freebies you can sellit & get all your money back if you don't like it, also they have the most adjustment of any I know of about 130" vert & horiz. https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-20x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html https://www.swfa.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=ss+20x+moa

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.