Mk V 6.5-284

Sikadog

I have had my Weatherby MK V 30-06 rebarreled in 6.5-284 and it wont load from the magazine, any ideas how to sort this problem before I take it back to the rifle smith, who has said he will adjust it, but I would just like a heads up before I take it back.

Does your magazine box have the spacer in the back?

I can try it in my 30-06 and 338WM Mark Vs. If it feeds in the 338 and not the 30-06 then I can have a look to see if there is a difference that is easy to fix.

I have had my Weatherby MK V 30-06 rebarreled in 6.5-284 and it wont load from the magazine, any ideas how to sort this problem before I take it back to the rifle smith, who has said he will adjust it, but I would just like a heads up before I take it back.

I think whoever picked this conversion cartridge made a poor choice. A 6.5-06 would have been a trouble free conversion. If it was my rifle, I would lick my wound and rebarrel it again.

Edd
Its a long story the conversion has been going on for 14 months its too long of a story to go into but it was my choice and I will have to live with it.
The rifle shoots very very well I just need the loading problem sorted.
I live in the UK and it is not as easy to sort rifle problems here as it is in the US.

Its a 9 lug if I load one round in the mag 5 times out of 6 it will load the round. On the 6th one it just jams but if I put more than 1 round in the mag it just wont load any off them they just jam into the bottom section below the barrel.

You might fix it by tweaking the feed lips a little looser towards the front but it sounds as if the barrel is machined wrong where the bolt recess is. Weatherby Mk5 actions need a small bevel in there or VLD type bullets will bump into this spot and jam just like you are describing. Very common mistake trying to fit a MK5 barrel like a Remington. If you look at a factory rifle closely you can see the bevel.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.