6.5-284 vs 284 vs 30-284

jp67

I am building a rifle with a long action for a rifle I wish to use at 1000 yards.
I am interested by using a 284 brass as a basis, but wonder which caliber to use.
-6.5-284 seems to be hard on barrels but norma bullets are available.
-For the 284, availability of 7mm berger bullets is difficult and expensive in FRANCE where I live. Is there an anlternative to Berger's bullets.
-30-284, I do not know much about the 30-284 except there is a good choice of bullets at reasonnable price. Is it a good caliber for what I plan to do?

Thanks for your help

30-284 will have nearly the same powder capacity of the 30-06. The 6.5mm-284 is good and so is the 260 Remington which doesn't burn through barrels.

Is it for hunting or shooting paper???

6,5-284: you can buy lapua cases. the 284ºwill have to be winchester if you find them, or open the necks of the lapua 6,5-284.

30-284; you ´l have to open up the necks.

In my opinion I would discard the 30-284, you wont get better ballistics than in the otjher 2 because you wont be able to launch high BC at the same speeds as the 284 or the 6,5-284.

The 284 offers longer barrel life than the 6,5-284, recoil will be a little higher than in the 6,5-284 because of the difference in bullet weight but you nay have to work on the cases if you use the lapoua 6.5-284 ´s .

You can buy Berger bullets from Germany at decent prices ( as compared to EU prices)

HOrnady A´-max bullets are also a good choice. The 6,5 has a BC of .55, the 7 mm 162, .62 BC.

just a thought. if its a long action, why not make a 6.5/06? Im actually thinking of doing the same. short barrel life? how short. this aint a 264mag:)

Thanks.
Actually, it will be to shoot paper and steel plates.
I already have a 7.08 and want something that can reach longer distances.
Regarding, the 6.5/06, I think I need a permit for that particular one in France.
I do not want to get into that as there are aleady great calibers out there.calibers out there.

Last edited:
I would love to hear why you need a permit for a 6.5/06 instead of a 6.5/284. is it considered a wildcat, non factory? not picking on you, but now I know why ted nuegent says "ya cant do this in france". take notice america, things like this are whats coming with obama:rolleyes:

I am not quite sure about this caliber but we need a permit for every rifle using a military caliber such as .308, .223, 30.06 ...the list goes on with swiss army, French army...
It is to prevent citizen from using military calibers, so we use hunting calibers. For instance, 7.08 or .260 instead of .308.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.