Missed a coyote at 1076 yds

gunaddict

I was glassing for deer this morning using my Swaro 15x56's and spotted a coyote sitting on a big boulder. I ranged it twice. 1076 yds . No wind. Got prone. I am shooting a custom 6.5x284, 140 VLDH bullets . Adjusted my side focus. Put the cross hair on his chest. Squeezed the trigger. Got back in the scope only to see him run off. O well:rolleyes: Headed to eastern Oregon Wednesday morning to go call coyotes up close and personal.gun)

Last edited:
I was glassing for deer this morning using my Swaro 15x56's and spotted a coyote sitting on a big boulder. I ranged it twice. 1076 yds . No wind. Got prone. I am shooting a custom 6.5x284, 140 VLDH bullets . Adjusted my side focus. Put the cross hair on his chest. Squeezed the trigger. Got back in the scope only to see him run off. O well:rolleyes: Headed to eastern Oregon Wednesday morning to go call coyotes up close and personal.gun)

Such and easy shot too.:) It just, was not his time to die LOL:) It has happened to me several times but a lot closer than that.

We had a killer opportunity like that on video a couple years ago.
Calling and were running out of light. Coyote stops at about 1135 which was convenient since our steel targets hang at 1150.
Perfect conditions, minimal wind and since he wasn't going to get close enough for the video footage to be any good, we decided to send it.
Waited for him to get comfortable and he sat down presenting a perfect quartering toward us shot.

Just as the round was touched off...he decided to turn and quarter toward us in the opposite directing and my partner missed by INCHES. Close enough that on video, you couldn't tell if it was fur or grass kick up.

Oh well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.