Misfired Primers

The range is closed until spring that sucks. Don't know where you live but, maybe it's a snow thing. Around here the ranges are open 362 days-closed Xmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. Hope you get it figured out...when you do let us know.

There are no snowplows at least never seen one going pass the gate and road at the range is unpaved, but it is usually open year round, but next year people around the range will be looking for natural gas and somehow shooting can interfere in seismic reading. There are other ranges in my area but none of them can offer me 500 yards :cool:

Jinx-) ........

Whenever I hunt in cold weather, I Never carry the same ammunition on more than one trip to the field if it can possibly be avoided. The main thing I've seen cause primers go bad is condensation.

Moisture caused by condensation is the worst, and it can destroy your ammo very quickly. Most of us have been on hunting trips where we never take a shot. When this ammo is stored, it gets carried on hunts again and again. Hunting ammunition is quite different from target ammunition, and it's often used in cold weather. When your ammo goes bad, there's rarely any visible sign of deterioration. Most hunting trips today are quite expensive, and it's a shame to risk hearing a "click" when you finally get the chance to pull the trigger.

- Innovative

Last year, when deer season ended I was washing some of the hunting gear for my son and I. I thought I had emptied out all of the pockets on his backpack but missed one that had three 270 WSM rounds. They went through a full wash and rinse cycle. When I found them, I kept them seperated and shot them next time at the range. They shot a one hole group. Now, none of us would ever use these in a hunting situation and yeah, I was suprised they even fired????

I keep my ammo in the basement, its about 50 F maybe lower this time of the year, but I do run dehumidifier nonstop, before my son was born I had room upstairs where I used to reload, but now I have to keep everything away since he scouting around the house...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.