Miscellaneous Loads & Velocity Hunting

JakeWes

This post is going to slightly deviate from my normal discussions. While I was at school and picking my nose, I picked up an 8lbs keg of WC860 and WC872 surplus powder. I also bought a box of 101gr Hammer Hunters to try out.

I decided to start with the WC860 and some old pulled 154gr Hornady Soft Points to find my left and right limits with pressure and velocity. I started with WC860 instead of WC872 because from what I had read online, the WC860 was supposed to be the faster-burning. With that in mind, I figured I would start with a max H1000 load of 80.0grs to find where I was at. While I knew that this powder was very slow, I was not expecting the bullet to fart out the muzzle at 2500fps. I have also read online that one should start with old H870 or AA8700 load data, but as I worked up in 1.0gr increments up to a mildly compressed load of 94.0gr, I was well beyond any published powder with nominal velocity. The only commercial powders that came close were US869 and H50BMG, but my WC860 was still considerably slower.

On this line graph that I made, one can see the very linear change in velocity as the charge weight increased. Compression with WC860 and the 154gr SP seated to a COAL of 3.600" did not start until 92.0gr. No measures were taken on my part to settle the powder in the case besides light tapping. Never noticed any signs of pressure during testing. Just some food for thought.

Custom Remington 700 26" 1-8 twist
Arken EPL4 4-16 MOA
Bertram 0x
Winchester Large Rifle primers
7mm STW WC860 Load Testing w_ 154gr SP.png

Now, onto the Hammer Hunters! I felt the need for speed, so I ordered the 101gr Hammers. I have read on the Hammer forum and this forum that a gentleman is using Varget to get 3900fps+ with this bullet to smoke rock chucks. I thought I could go faster.

Using H4350, I started where I left off with the 140gr AH bullets from last spring and loaded a ladder from 76.0grs to 80.0grs in 1.0gr increments. I have to say, I am very impressed with this bullet and the velocity I was able to get out of it. As one can see from my line graph, there is no radical jump in velocity. Now, to be fair, 80.0grs of H4350 is what I would consider a max load because I did get a mild ejector swipe, but nothing crazy. To top it off too, all 5 shots went into a ragged hole at 100 yards!

Since these were large jumps in powder, I think I am going to do more testing around the 77.0-78.0 range. I will say though, the barrel gets crazy HOT when shooting these suckers.

Custom Remington 700 26" 1-8 twist
Arken EPL4 4-16 MOA
Fireformed Hornady 375 H&H 1x
Winchester Large Rifle primers
7mm STW H4350 Load Testing w_ 101gr Hammer Hunter.png

Also, here is a link to a YouTube video I made of me rambling while loading for the STW:

A bit over 4K on a 101, eh?
Not bad.
The fastest vel. I've gotten out of a 7mm of any sort was an early lh lss 7rum I was working with using 120 Sierra pills and AA8700. My 3 shot average was just a few fps below 4K fps. I didn't pursue the load though as it just didn't seem nearly as accurate as 140's.