Mis-aligned holes on receiver

Geezer

I've been using standard bases on my Savage mod 16 in .300WSM, but have had problems with the ears on the rear ring bending under recoil, so I decided to get an new set of Burris Signature dual-dovetail bases and rings to go with my new Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20. Also figured I could use the 20 moa offset inserts to give me more clicks at longer ranges. Went to the range Saturday and while my backyard boresighting got me on paper at 25yds, I ran out of right windage adjustment just about the time I got the bullet strike moved over to the bull.

I came home, vised up the rifle, pulled off the scope, rings and bases and ran a front and rear base screw back in. Then I laid a straightedge against the screws. Looks like the holes are mis-aligned to the point that a line through the center of the scope would be about .25" right of the barrel center at the muzzle. Oops. Guess the adjustability of the standard bases masked this problem, but the dual-dovetails require perfect alignment.

As a field-expedient so I can try out the scope next week, I put a set of 10 moa inserts I had on hand into the front rings sideways to get some more right adjustment (I bet 20moa would be better), but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do short of a new receiver. The rifle shoots and functions fine otherwise.

rear windage adjustable rings/bases ? bout they only thing i would say that would be reliable and not afican engineered. other option is to weld up holes and redrill and tap correctly.

I believe Weaver still makes blank mounts that can be drilled exactly where they are needed to match the receiver.

You canhave the scope base holes opened up to 8-40 screws ,make sure that the person that does this uses a mill thats vise is true so the holes are strait this time. The trick is not to use a drill for the holes but a very short ball nose end mill that way it doesen't chase the same hole but it cuts a new one on the centerline.

Or send it back to Savage.
Or use windage adjustable base
Or use the inserts like you are now.

Are you kidding? Misaligned factory receiver holes are entirely unacceptable. Call Savage, and return the rifle. They should exchange it for a new rifle.

If necessary, speak to Ron Coburn (the President). He's a great guy and will do right by you. He will be really ****ed that that receiver passed quality control inspection.

This must be more common than we know.. I just checked on availability of a savage model 40 and the distributor has some. I had a buddy @ the gun shop try to get one and he spoke to some one who said they were all going back because they were drilled and tapped crooked.

I have to say savage quality control is really going down hill.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.