Mill hash marks

I can't completely disagree. My major reason for changing reticles was the fact that the subtensions were the same all over the reticle on the mil-xt whereas on the mil-r you had to remember where you were looking to know the divisions.

While .5 worked for me .2 is much, much easier for me to use under duress.

Personal preference comes into reticle choice a great deal. See what he likes and have him practice with it. Practice with either will do more for his placement than the reticle being .5 or .2 in it's markings.

Personal preference comes into reticle choice a great deal. See what he likes and have him practice with it. Practice with either will do more for his placement than the reticle being .5 or .2 in it's markings.
Thank you. I know I like the .2 better, but I'm not sure yet which one he likes yet. I know if you like one over the other it makes practice more enjoyable.

I sold all my NF scopes with mil-r and bought mil-xt (same as mil-c with a tree) for this reason. The mil-r has mostly .5 mil hashes and they are different depending on where in the reticle you look. The mil-xt/mil-c is .2 everywhere on the crosshairs so you don't have to remember where you're looking. .5 is too coarse for PRS/NRL and holding in the middle is difficult off a barricade.
And just like that you stepped into the 21st century. Honestly, this is the first conversation of this type I have read. I do not know anyone personally who has not embraced .2 hashes, it seems like normal everyday progression.

And just like that you stepped into the 21st century. Honestly, this is the first conversation of this type I have read. I do not know anyone personally who has not embraced .2 hashes, it seems like normal everyday progression.

It will be the first time using mil. It took a little bit to wrap my head around it. I've used moa for a long time. But my wrists aren't what they used to be, so less turning to dial would be easier and not painful in the long run.

What turned me to mils was it makes it much easier to dial what someone calls out to you. You can call clicks or mil since .1 = 1 click. eg. 1.2 mils = 12 clicks. I'm not saying it's easier than MOA but it was just easier for me.

What turned me to mils was it makes it much easier to dial what someone calls out to you. You can call clicks or mil since .1 = 1 click. eg. 1.2 mils = 12 clicks. I'm not saying it's easier than MOA but it was just easier for me.
After doing a lot of research and finally starting to understand the difference it seems a lot easier to me and the way my older brain works lol

It will be the first time using mil. It took a little bit to wrap my head around it. I've used moa for a long time. But my wrists aren't what they used to be, so less turning to dial would be easier and not painful in the long run.
I hear you, let's not go the moa vs mil route, I just stated I'm astonished by the discussion, as the industry moves to .2 hashes, IMO it is only natural to follow suit. Buy a ,5, then 3 yrs down the road, you want .2, your resale value is diminished.

I hear you, let's not go the moa vs mil route, I just stated I'm astonished by the discussion, as the industry moves to .2 hashes, IMO it is only natural to follow suit. Buy a ,5, then 3 yrs down the road, you want .2, your resale value is diminished.
I definitely hear ya on the debate enough said lol. It's really interesting how in the last few years the whole industry has evolved. And the direction it's going

I definitely hear ya on the debate enough said lol. It's really interesting how in the last few years the whole industry has evolved. And the direction it's going
Let me apologize for being assertive though, I honestly do not want to control which direction you go.
Both work.
I just know, I would have never switched to mils if .5 was all that was available.

It might be eventually used in competition but that's still up in the air

I would to keep it under 1000 if possible
Save a few more bucks and look at the Leupold VX5's or spend some time looking at used Mark IV's and VX-6's.

You would not be the least bit disappointed in the 4.5-14x50 or the VX-5 2-15x50.

I have some mil based IOR Valdada's and like them, but I prefer either a straight Mil Dot or Leupold's TMR Reticles. MOA is a lot easier to work with unless you have a long career working with military/LEO optics that are mil based.

My sub tension hash marks for the sub mils in the mil scopes are .5mils graduations and they are adequate as I can always split the difference if need be.