mid weight varmint questions.

benjamin199

I have a Borden Aline single shot action to build a rifle around. I am looking for a midweight stalking varmint rifle (to be used for targets, coyotes and maybe deer.) I think 600yrds is the farthest the terrain around here will let me shoot, so I am thinking I would prefer a shorter barrel for more manuvarablity than the extra velocity of a longer barrel. I am thinking a 22" 5 or 6 contour Lilja barrel, and McMillian General Purpose hunting stock chambered for a .243AI. This rifle will be shot from the bench but also used in field positions.
Any opinions, advice or other info for me to think about would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Not sure I see the need or use of the 243 AI with a 22" barrel. Self defeating.

Might be better off with straight 243 if you do not have at least a 26" barrel to burn the extra powder in. Lot of throat erosion for no gain in velocity.

BH

If you are sure you want the short barrel over velocity; you might want to consider a .260 Rem. 6.5mm bullets can have great bc's & the added mass will help with wind drift. No you want get the velocity of a .243A/I, but a 22" barrel probably won't fulfill the A/I's potential either. Plus no fireforming. JMHO

Merry Christmas,
Dave

Thanks for the replies, My thinking for the .243AI over the 243 was to give me the 243 velocities in a shorter barrel, Although I was worried that it may not do much more in a shorter barrel because of the slow powerders needed. I may end up with going with a 243, I do like the case dimensions of the AI better though. As for the .260 I think it is a great caliber, but I am looking for something a little smaller. I already own a rem 700 in 6.5x55 Which is very similar. I am looking for a cartige between my varmint .204 and the 6.5mm. Thanks again for the input, any more would be greatly appreciated as nothing but the action is set in stone right now.

think I would look at a smaller contour and add 2 inches and go with a straight 6BR in a 9 twist. Will shoot the 95s and 87/88s like a house afire. Great barrel life more than enough velociy with those bullets.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.