MER (Maximum Effective Range) another tool in the complete hunters tool box

If there's one thing more than any other that makes me say "No, not this time" it's the wind and I don't mind for a minute admitting it.

I walked away from 300 yard shot at a mountain goat, winds were someplace in the *** are we doing on the mountain range.

I walked away from 300 yard shot at a mountain goat, winds were someplace in the *** are we doing on the mountain range.
I've passed on closer shots than that on windy days when I couldn't get prone and the only rest was a tree waving in the wind and I was waving worse.

It turns my gut to wound a game animal and I just won't risk it. If I can't get steady at least for the split second it takes to pull the trigger I'll let them walk away.

The perfect hunt for me ends with just knowing I could have made the shot. When I actually do the fun is over and there's nothing left but hard work anyhow.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.