Meopta scopes

Cowhand75

Dose anyone have anyone experience with the meo pro 6x18x 50? I am looking for new glass for my savage 12fv 223. I am shooting out to 550 yards on targets and coyotes max has been 260 yards so far.

I don't have personal experiences with Meopta scopes but several people I know and friends own them and are extremely satisfied. Top optical quality for almost little money. Meoptas have closed up to the highend products here in Europe. Its best current longrange scope is the illuminated Meopta ZD 6-24x56 RD. Your choice, the Meo Pro 6 - 18x50 should be fine.

Varnerger757 thanks for the info. Would you be able to tell me what they are comparable to. I have not looked through one yet and there Is almost no info on these scopes here . The gun shop I trade at some carry these along with ziess, vortex, s&b nightforce, bushnell and others. I'm just trying to stay around a 1000.00 with the best I can get for the money.

Thanks, Brad

Varnerger757 thanks for the info. Would you be able to tell me what they are comparable to. I have not looked through one yet and there Is almost no info on these scopes here . The gun shop I trade at some carry these along with ziess, vortex, s&b nightforce, bushnell and others. I'm just trying to stay around a 1000.00 with the best I can get for the money.

Thanks, Brad

You're welcome Brad! I have looked through some of Meoptas top models (Meostar R1 3-12x56RD) and could shoot with them also on targets. Even if I own both Zeiss, Kahles and Leupold scopes, I wasn't able to see a remarkable difference in optics and necessary features. Clarity, etc. and easy operation are on top level. On top of my next gun will be at least one Meopta mounted for target and LR shooting. You won't make any mistake purchasing a Meo Pro 6-18x50. Optically it will surely be in the same class than NF or Leupold. gun)

...You won't make any mistake purchasing a Meo Pro 6-18x50. Optically it will surely be in the same class than NF or Leupold. gun)
I like the Meopta 6-18x50 scope, but I wouldn't go that far. You're comparing a scope with a doublet objective lens (MeoPro) with scopes that have a triplet objective lens and cost 2-3X more (Nightforce NXS).

HighPowerOptics recently became an authorized Meopta dealer. I'm in the process of evaluating several Meopta scopes and binoculars. I'm still evaluating the MeoPro 6-18x50, but can share a few "first look" conclusions. When I'm done, I'll send a longer review to LRH for the newsletter.

The mechanics on Meopro scopes are well engineered. Fit and finish are excellent - nearly identical to that on the Zeiss Conquest scopes. The side focus and zoom rings rotate very smoothly and are easy to grip. The 6-18x50 scope is unique in the MeoPro line in that it offers the same covered target turret that is found on some of the MeoStar and ZD series scopes. Clicks are firm and audible, and have 0.25 inch per hundred yards (IPHY) increments.

The turrets provide a total 44 IPHY of adjustment, which is similar to other 1" tube scopes in this magnification range. When dialing elevation, ranges beyond 1,000 yds can be reached if a 10-20 MOA rail is used. The zeros can be reset with no special tools - only a coin is needed to unlock the turret.

I haven't evaluated turret accuracy or repeatability yet. I will note that MeoPro scopes seem to not have a reputation for having any problems with turret repeatability or point of aim drift. I was unable to find any complaints online, but then MeoPro scopes have not become popular enough yet to have a lot of user feedback.

While this scope lacks a zero stop, it really isn't needed. The large turrets rotate 18 IPHY per revolution, so the entire rotation range is just over two revolutions. More than likely, the zero will be within about one revolution from the lower elevation stop.

Compared to other scopes in this price range, the optical design is very good. The field of view (FOV) increases as magnification decreases, all the way down to 6X. Obscuration of the FOV is absent at nearly all combinations of magnification and elevation. Vignetting at the FOV edge at 6X magnification just barely becomes noticeable when the elevation and windage are both set to 20 IPHY. The eyebox is large and easy to use.

The performance at the top end of magnification is where this scope shines. The resolution is good - typical of the better optical quality scopes (Zeiss Conquest, Trijicon, etc.) below the $1,000 price point. The image contrast of this scope is quite good at high magnification - equal to or better than any other scope I've evaluated below the $700 price point.

The MeoPro 6-18x50 is offered with plex, bullet-drop compensated (BDC), and mildot reticles. The BDC reticle should work well out to about 500 yds. The mildot reticle would be a good choice for dialing elevation. The mildot reticle is solid and heavy enough to be visible under low light conditions at dawn and dusk.

Like all mrad/IPHY scopes, this one can be converted to an IPHY/IPHY scope by simply reducing the magnification. In this case, setting the magnification to 16X converts the mildot reticle into one that has 4 IPHY between dots. That way, missed shots can be milled and corrected without having to convert mrads to IPHY in your head. 16X magnification also provides a slightly larger FOV for spotting impacts after recoil.

The MeoPro 6-18x50 scope would be a good choice for long range hunters looking for excellent optical performance at the $650-700 price point. This scope is a bargain compared to the industry standard Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 mildot, which costs about $170 more. Both scopes are shown in the photo below. The uncapped turrets on the MeoPro are shown.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 439
That's good info....
I think the meostar has better glass than the conquest do. I owned two of them, and have since bought some of the cabelas euro binos which are made by meopta. I seem to remember some guys on here having issues with their customer service, but cabelas optics service is top notch and they will stand behind them for you.

Last edited:
I have the Cabela's Euro(Meopro) in 4x12x50 and 6x18x50. I've had the 4x12 on a coyote rig for a year and really like it. Good clarity and light. 6x18 has only been to the range so I can't say much so far. I do run some ziess conquests also and they do seem to compare to them.

Epic product fail with Meopta Meo Pro 6-18 Mil Dot.

Bought open box (only one they had in Mil Dot at Field and Stream.

Second range trip, scope would not focus at all. Part rattling around inside.

Previous trip, it had bottomed on on right adjustment, but otherwise, nice glass, good image quality, tight group.

Done with Meopta after this. No dings, no drops, no trauma, maybe held up to three shots on second trip before cratering.

That would speak poorly of a $99 Tasco. It speaks poorly of Meopta. No more of their stuff for me.

Field and Stream had three different people look at it. They gave me my money back.

Any other good/bad experiences out there?

I will say when I took it home I was proud of it and thought I'd scored a good deal.

The glass viewed alongside other scopes WAS impressive--until it came off axis or whatever happened. Clarity, brightness and light gathering all seemed quite good in the store. Just eyeballing it, I thought it outdid the Leupold VX IIIs and Nikon Monarch of comparable magnification and objective diameter. I have a Swaro Z5 and I'd say it is only slightly better and not sure I'd even say that in a fair, side by side controlled test A -B comparison where you did not realize one cost twice as much. But the Swaro holds zero and gives me a good image every time, and that is on a 7.62 semi auto where the bolt cycles with some authority.

For me, the relative unknown brand ain't worth the risk.

I have a MeoPro 3.5-10x44 with a German #4 reticle. It is the best scope I own and to my eyes is better than my Conquest 3-9x40, especially in low light.

Epic product fail with Meopta Meo Pro 6-18 Mil Dot.

Bought open box (only one they had in Mil Dot at Field and Stream.

Second range trip, scope would not focus at all. Part rattling around inside.

Previous trip, it had bottomed on on right adjustment, but otherwise, nice glass, good image quality, tight group.

Done with Meopta after this. No dings, no drops, no trauma, maybe held up to three shots on second trip before cratering.

That would speak poorly of a $99 Tasco. It speaks poorly of Meopta. No more of their stuff for me.

Field and Stream had three different people look at it. They gave me my money back.

I bought a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6 in December. It wouldn't track and the windage and elevation knobs were very hard to turn. Leupold took care of it. I'll still purchase Leupold. Why not give Meopta a chance to make it good? Every company turns out lemon occasionally.

I have the Meostar and the equivalent in the binos and think they are well made with good glass. The only thing I don't like on the scope is the parallax/focus adjustment is on the scope tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.