Memorial Day 2023

I served as did the generations in my family before me. We are all fortunate to enjoy the freedoms we have .
Once a Marine, always a marine.
Some of the kids today do not realize what it's like to sign that check to Uncle Sam.
Speaking of checks, my wife bought me this t-shirt not too long back. I think it meets your definition well.
20230526_162837.jpg

My friends dad was in a Marine division that was staged for the first assault on Iwo Jima. Word came to his commanding officers that his father had died. He was given liberty to get back home, then join back with his unit immediately after.
When he got back to report, he found out his entire unit was wiped out in that first assault. He was reassigned and hit the beach and under heavy fighting until the flag was raised there.
The death of his father saved his life. He really didn't convey much about the horrors of that fight.
I remember him often.

I walked Iwo Jima about 8 years ago. When you look at the numbers of men on that tiny rock, I can't even imagine. Brutal.

A friend at work had 2 sons, one in college to be a doctor, the other went in the Marines. It was 2004, his 22 year old son was in Iraq. He'd been over there and back 2 times, he didn't have to but, he volunteered for a 3rd time.He got shot by a sniper . Very sad couple days working by his Dad, at the yard. Went over to the wake after work one night. They had sent half a dozen Marines, for about a week to stay, with the family, til that kid was laid to rest. Not sure who authorized it but, showed a lot of class by Marine outfit.
So sorry to hear about your friends Marine Son.
Marines always show up and never leave anyone behind.
Every fallen that I went to had Marines to send them off. Horrible way to say things but we always remember the sacrifice of the fallen and especially the family.
The wives, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers of our fallen are the most giving service to our Country!

Just a mere 30 Percent of those between the ages of 16 and 19 surveyed , have any sense of patriotism. Why?? How can they be indifferent to all this country has given them. Including the freedom to Criticize endlessly , be lazy , and be disrespectful to the flag. They are too stupid to even be ashamed of themselves. Its very sad !!!
Perhaps a tour or two may change their attitude. Hhmmm......

Here's one of my good friends from school. He was a great man. The kind of person you are proud to call your friend. Gone too soon. View attachment 465825 KIA
A man worthy of our honor every day, but especially on Memorial Day.

We mourn his loss and pray the Lord's comfort of his family and friends. I'm sure his memory lives on your heart and mind.

So I was reading the thread and thought I would share an interesting experience I had with my dad before he passed away. I took him to an air museum and they had a Dauntless there. Although he was in wheelchair, he popped right out of it scaring crap out of me but he wanted to feel the plane. The museum director saw this and walked over and removed barriers so he could touch prop, exhaust, wings, flaps and so on. The director somehow KNEW my dad was reliving a deeply personal revival experience. It was the best I saw my dad act in quite a while. It was like he got an enormous lift and was reliving some good memories. The topper was the director asked my dad to sign one of the maintenance doors on wing. Dad went directly to one since he knew what the Director was referring to. So this plane has my dad's signature/squadron forever.

So we were talking about the plane in gift shop and he was disappointed there wasn't a model there to buy. So his birthday was approaching so I ordered one from Franklin Mint. The level of detail is amazing BTW. So dad calls all excited the plane arrived in perfect condition and sits on his chair table right next to him. Then he said, I don't know how you did it but thank you so much for putting Ace of Spades squadron decal on plane!!! Huh? What? I immediately went to catalogue and there are no decals on plane, no reference to any squadron at all. How was that possible? I have the plane and booklet etc for it in my office. It's a reminder to me there is a higher order out there. I circled the decal in photo.

IMG_0081.jpeg
IMG_0082.jpeg

So I was reading the thread and thought I would share an interesting experience I had with my dad before he passed away. I took him to an air museum and they had a Dauntless there. Although he was in wheelchair, he popped right out of it scaring crap out of me but he wanted to feel the plane. The museum director saw this and walked over and removed barriers so he could touch prop, exhaust, wings, flaps and so on. The director somehow KNEW my dad was reliving a deeply personal revival experience. It was the best I saw my dad act in quite a while. It was like he got an enormous lift and was reliving some good memories. The topper was the director asked my dad to sign one of the maintenance doors on wing. Dad went directly to one since he knew what the Director was referring to. So this plane has my dad's signature/squadron forever.

So we were talking about the plane in gift shop and he was disappointed there wasn't a model there to buy. So his birthday was approaching so I ordered one from Franklin Mint. The level of detail is amazing BTW. So dad calls all excited the plane arrived in perfect condition and sits on his chair table right next to him. Then he said, I don't know how you did it but thank you so much for putting Ace of Spades squadron decal on plane!!! Huh? What? I immediately went to catalogue and there are no decals on plane, no reference to any squadron at all. How was that possible? I have the plane and booklet etc for it in my office. It's a reminder to me there is a higher order out there. I circled the decal in photo.

View attachment 465870View attachment 465871
That is a VERY cool story Muddyboots. Very cool. Thank you for sharing.

The Normandy 1944 book in photo is the 50 year celebration of the Normandy invasion. I just happened to be there in June 1994 for major business meeting. The French hosts provided us a copy as a gift which was deeply appreciated. I went to cemetery where I believe every American should experience the deep reverence. I sat on the bench that was in Saving Private Ryan and cried like everyone else that was there with me. Its an overpowering emotional experience to see all those white crosses in perfect alignment. You get a much deeper appreciation for those who gave their life to protect our freedoms. When you stand on the beachhead looking up at the highly fortified bluffs still there you ask yourself "how was this possible?". The concrete bunkers are riddled with heavy pockmarks showing the ferocity of the fighting. Sunken ships still visible, military vehicles shredded, caissons still there. Absolutely HORRIFYING to think of the carnage then standing in cemetery for those who gave it all is an unforgettable emotional experience. Just wished more Americans could experience it as well. I bet much different perspective of our freedoms.

I believe the cemetery is considered US soil as well.

View attachment 465870View attachment 465871
Muddy, your dad came alive remembering his plane and his buddies. He obviously revered that old aircraft that had served him well. Here is a blow up of the insignia/decal. The A stands for Air, the S stands for squadron. Very cool story.

Attachments

• 400px-VMA-231_Emblem.svg.png
    400px-VMA-231_Emblem.svg.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 24