Melonite

pg637b

Can someone give me the low down on Melonite qpq i have read good and bad but still come up confused.:rolleyes: i was told it could not be done on a factory barrel (rem 700 varmint). the black coating on it now is not holding well and was told melonite would be what i need. rifle is used for duty use and is in all types of weather and situations. just looking for a durable coating. Pat G.

Melonite is good stuff, in my opinion. I've only had one barrel melonited, but I'm impressed. You've asked for a lot in your short post/question. I'd suggest Google searching and researching to get the information you seek.

I'll throw this out right off the bat. Most don't recommend any more than 50 shots fired down a rifle bore prior to meloniting the barrel. So if you've already fired more than 50 shots down the bore, then it may be too late for melonite treatment. Certainly no more than 100 shots fired. You say the finish is wearing off the barrel, so I'd guess you've fired quite a few rounds thru it already...

Just have that factory barreled action Ceracoated or matte blued. Not worth it to Melonite/Blk. Nitride a factory barrel. As rough as some are it could do more harm than good. Melonite/Blk. Nitride is used to increase the surface hardness to increase wear resistance ,not necessarily for color.

Meloniting:

I have had ParkerTrutec MMI do several barrels, actions, bolts, bolt parts, triggers, sears, cocking pieces, bolt shrouds, muzzle brakes and barrel caps.

I would only recommend doing only new aftermarket high quality barrels. It should be properly chambered, crowned, and engraved. Then cleaned and fired 10-20 times. Then cleaned both chemically and physically (with brush). I use a regimen of both carbon and copper solvents. There should be no carbon or copper fouling in the barrel when sent for meloniting. The factory barrels that I have sent required extensive cleaning after meloniting and showed pressure signs with the first ten or so loads.

Everything being sent to be meloniting needs to be in the white, no bluing, no oxide finishes. Polished or bead blasted. The final melonited surface finish will look like the surface before meloniting. I polish triggers and sears to a mirror finish before meloniting. Greatly improves Savage triggers.

Nat Lambeth

Thank you all, i'm just going to get a remington xcrii longrange in 300 mag they are trinited and i'
m told that is the same thing but i hate the barrel flutes.

So far I´ve had 2 barrels melonited, One was a .308 win bartlein and the other was a 7mm rem mag bartlein. Both barrels work great, the smith handed them to me with all the work done (chamber, crown, threads, etc. Never fired a shot before the treatment and after assembly both rifles worked great. MV was way higher than factory stated in the ammo boxes, around 150fps

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts