Measuring for Bullet Jump Question

Greg Duerr

I have a re-barreled 6.5 Creedmoor and was using the Hornady Modified case to check for COAL or to find out how far out to seat the bullet to touch the Lands. I noticed that I would hit a little resistance and had to apply just a little pressure for the Bullet to hit the lands. If the bore was not clean you could not push the Bullet at all not until the Riifle was cleaned pretty good with a bronze brush. Afterwards there was always a little noticeable resistance and with a little more pressure you could feel the bullet travel to the Lands .....................Whats going on is this normal??

Sometimes the Hornady modified cases allow the bullet to skew just a bit on its way to the lands. That will allow it to drag and create slight resistance enroute to the point of lockup with the lands. But it is also possible that you have a flaw in the throat. That wold require a bore scope to identify. I'd suggest you scope the bore to make sure here isn't something in there that you'd want to eliminate.

Put a cleaning rod without any attachment in the muzzle end of the barrel and use it to put pressure on the bullet as you push the hornady tool rod from the other end. By "see-sawing" them back and forth you can get a much better feel for when the bullet has really touched the lands and more consistent readings.

As others have suggested you might have a smith bore scope your throat.

I could not get consistent results with the Hornady OAL gauge and the closest I could get to the actual measurement to the lands was .100-.200"

Try this method to get an accurate measurement.

https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/videos

"Finding your lands"

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.