MDT Skeleton V3 on AR 15?

booner2008

I really like this stock. But not sure if it can go on one of my AR's. Since the stock can be used with a regular ar with buffer, can it be used on a gas upper? I see they sell a small buffer tube adapter for their LSS stock,, you think it can work on a AR?
Silly question but I'm not 100% sure how much a buffer tube is used on a gas upper. I'm also talking about a sig 556 to be exact.
Thank you for your time

All AR/M4 and like-style weapons all use gas operation. Most are DGI (Direct Gas Impingement) like your standard Mil-Spec AR's and M4's, and some of the high-end rifles are gas piston operated like the LWRC and Sig rifles.

The gas system makes absolutely no difference what butt stock you put on your rifle.

The only thing that differentiates the butt stock preference, is if your lower receiver has the larger threads (1.173" diameter) for a commercial buffer tube, or the smaller threads (1.150" diameter) for the mil-spec buffer tube.

Thank you for the reply.

So, if I'm reading correctly, I can use the mdt stock on my AR. Its a sig patrol 556.

Either way,, if I can or can't, what's the purpose of the buffer tube? Is it recoil, cycling the bolt, etc....?

Thx again

Either way,, if I can or can't, what's the purpose of the buffer tube? Is it recoil, cycling the bolt, etc....?
It houses the buffer spring and buffer that function to return the reciprocating bolt carrier ... and hence the bolt ... back into battery (lockup).

If I were you, I'd consider the Luth-AR buttstock! I put one on my precision 24" barreled AR and it is awesome. Well-designed with all of the adjustments one could want. I also found that it gave me a much better cheekweld than the MagPul PRS stock, which is almost 2X the price.

So for me, an added bonus was that the Luth-AR stock was a much better value.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.