McMillan A5 for 270 AM

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I've decided that the Choate on my 270 AM has to go.

I already have an A5 on my 300 RUM and love it. It is just the basic package, no extras.

My question is, if money is not a limiting factor, what options should I get on this thing? I know I want some type of cheek piece (which one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) and an accessory rail for a bipod. Other than this I don't know. Should I get it pillar bedded?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
B.J.

B.J.:

I've got an A-5 coming from Kirby on my 7mm AM. I went with the thumbwheel adjustable cheekpiece, fixed length of pull, 2 flush cups for swivels and one stud up front for Harris bipod and a Pachmayer Decelerator pad. I almost went with 2 additional flush cups on the side but didn't. They can be added later if the urge hits me.

Inlet for appropriate action, barrel and bottom metal and add the finish, if desired, of your choice. Glass bedded with pillars.

I opted out on the rail as I've had problems with rail accessories coming loose and didn't want to contend with that any more.

You can add just about anything like adjustable LOP, adjustable butt plate, different cheekpiece, rails and on and on. Good luck with whatever you choose. You already know you'll like it, you just need to get all the bells and whistles you want up front. That'll be a tough looking rig with a new A-5 on it. Also, if you want it before next hunting season you'd better get it ordered. McMillan is way behind with their stocks and that's causing a lot of problems for some people.

Maybe I'm stupid, but what are flush cups for swivels?

You may be right on the rail. A stud would do all I need. I do need to be able to carry it w/a sling, w/the bipod attached. I hate how the bipods dig into your back. Maybe some studs on the side?

They are cups mounted flush with the surface of the stock that utilize detachable swivels. These are just some pics from the web, but it shows the side mounts. Note the Pod-Loc on the Harris. Something to consider if you don't already use one.

324554.jpg
324555.jpg
324556.jpg

See them "here"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Definatley something to consider. My Choate has some studs on the side. I think I'll try attaching a sling to them and see if it makes the thing a little more comfortable to carry.

Hmmm, i know where those pics came from /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bill -- if you are getting an adj CP i would talk to Terry Cross about his Mod.

Flush cups are nice, and id get them bottom and side.

Michael's makes the swivels that go in them, and Mike Miller at Tacticalintervention.com makes the slings in the pic, and designed the rifle in the 2nd two pics. Mike can also hook you up with swivels if you get a sling from him.

The A5 is tough to beat for a field stock.

JB

You might even want to consider a "VERSA-POD MOUNTING STUD"
which, mounts permanently into the forend. This uses the the versa-pod bipod, check it out on the mcmillian web sight under accessories. Just another option.

Bill,

Ya mean something like this???

324631.jpg

This is not a 270 AM but it is an A-5 with a BAT receiver chambered in 338 Lapua. Has the H-S Precision drop box 3 round mag as well.

324632.jpg

Not bad for a freshly machined 338 Lapua with the 300 gr SMKs.

Personally I like the cheek piece height as they come even with a 56mm scope. I must have a long face though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

I am pretty simple in what I like in my rifles so the standard A-5 fills my needs great as is with standard swivel studs, fixed cheek and fixed LOP.

I would focus more on stock weight to properly balance the rifle with that heavy barrel of yours.

Look at this little beauty. This is the basis for the very first Extreme Sporter V-Block rifle from APS. It will be chambered in the 270 AM and shipped to our good friend in Canada to be put to use as a serious whitetail hammer!!

324634.jpg

Will be something special I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Nice looking stick in the first pic Kirby!! Nice looking group as well!
The stock in the bottom pic, I think I know who's it is.
If so we chatted a little about it when I was going through the process of parts picking for my 270 AM.

Bill...

some thoughts on my part...

after having several A5's and MCM stocks...

I opt out for anything adjustable and I prefer the Stock Pack with additional padding... easily done with old mouse pads and some upholstery glue

not sure how your face is made but for some reason when shooting some of the rifle my cheek bone gets real sore.. and this isn't with a real tight cheek weld either...

I have the Sub min Solutions stock now with the thumb wheel but I'll be afixing a "pad" to the adj. part..

who knows maybe I am made wrong... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts