• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED McMillan A3 FS

rpierce

Official LRH Sponsor
I have a McMillan A3 long action 700 rem varmint contour stock for sale, inletted for bdl bottom metal. A customer sent me a rifle to have rebarreled and take a look at the stock. STOCK WORK WAS NOT DONE by me but by a highly reputable custom rifle maker. Upon inspection the barrel channel needed material removed for proper clearance. The bolt handle inlet needed material removed as well due to the bolt hitting it. I then checked the bedding w indicators and there was stress. I told the customer I won't tear the bedding out and redo it due to the fact I no longer fix other gunsmiths mess ups. The customer found a manners eh1 instock and its on the way to me. He will part with this stock for 400 shipped. I did open up the barrel channel and bolt handle inlet for proper clearance. I DID NOT DO THIS BEDDING JOB.

links to pics of stock
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=773226552781960&set=pcb.773228666115082&type=3&theater

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...4652_773226786115270_660074821848725989_o.jpg

.007-.008 deflection. No stress is .001 or less. I was able to see the rear of the action pop up out of the stock with the naked eye.

After its bedded you put the gun in a mill and put a dial indicator on the end of the barrel. With the front action screw torqued down you loosen the back screw and watch the indicator. A properly bedded rifle will have .001 or less movement.

After its bedded you put the gun in a mill and put a dial indicator on the end of the barrel. With the front action screw torqued down you loosen the back screw and watch the indicator. A properly bedded rifle will have .001 or less movement.

Am I reading your post right that you loosen the guard screw on the tang to check deflection? To me the back screw is the tang.

I always flip the gun upside down in a bbl vise with a magnetic dial indicator on the barrel and loosen the front guard screw to check for deflection. Then the weight of the bbl has no bearing on your measurement. Obviously you want to have the bdl door open so the magazine spring does not play a part

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 7
The last heavy barrel, 7lb barrel, I chambered and bedded showed under .001 movement. I don't do very many heavy barrel builds but they have showed the same measurements. 95% of my full builds are hunting rifles.

The last heavy barrel, 7lb barrel, I chambered and bedded showed under .001 movement. I don't do very many heavy barrel builds but they have showed the same measurements. 95% of my full builds are hunting rifles.

Did it have any bedding in front of the recoil lug?