McGowan barrel, MOA Maximum SP & Bergers=Great Combo

Ernie

SPONSOR
Today I went to check some drops to be ready for a group handgun antelope hunt outside of Casper.
I shot my son's MOA Maximum specialty pistol for the first time beyond 200 yards.
I shot @ 500 yards today with the MOA chambered for the 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua off of a bi-pod (no sighters, just dialed and made these three shots), 3-shots 1.25 inches.
I am a happy camper.
Barrel is a SS McGowen 1-7 twist with one of Rich Mertz's new muzzle brake designs.
MV is 2790 with 105 Berger VLD's, powder is H-4350, Federal small rifle match primers. Scope is the Leupy VX-III 8.5-25 LR/T!
I think I am ready for the antelope hunt
biggrin.gif

There was a thread earlier on how accurate McGowen barrels are--I would say pretty good!

IMG_3160.jpg

I was by myself today and in a hurry, but here is a pic of my MOA (falling block action) with a different barrel & optic
5326MOA_LR_Set-up.jpg

5326Erik_Elk_1.jpg

Last edited:
Very Nice Ernie. I really like those MOA's. Hopefully we get there early enough I can show you my Savage Target Action SP in all Its glory...

Nice shooter you have there Ernie. Looking forward to seeing it in action on Saturday. Is Erik hunting this year with the group?

Mike

Erik won't be with us in Casper, but he will hunt for his buck with me outside of Gillette. Our season here starts the 1st of Oct.

Here is a pic of the MOA in its current set-up, as when I shot earlier this week at 500 yards:

IMG_3167.jpg

very nice ernie, best wishes on the hunt.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
I just have a doe tag for the area I will be hunting this week.
I am going to be spending time with a group of 20+ specialty handgun hunters, so I know it will be a success. I am going more for the socialization and helping others than I am for myself.
I can easily pop a doe or a buck here locally when I want.
But I do have a bachelor buck scoped out locally:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.