Maximum cartridge for nrl hunter

nealm66

I'm wanting to shoot some nrl hunter matches for fun and practice. I currently have 2 300 prc's and a 22 creedmoor. I've heard that they don't really like anything bigger than 7mm mag because it's hard on the targets which I understand and my 22 is too small. I've been thinking about a 6.5 or 7 prc and would prefer the 7 but not sure if they would frown on it being potentially slightly more energy than the 7 mag. Wondering if anyone else has been denied entering because of too large of cartridge or if it was a one off that I ran into a couple years ago when I inquired

I'm wanting to shoot some nrl hunter matches for fun and practice. I currently have 2 300 prc's and a 22 creedmoor. I've heard that they don't really like anything bigger than 7mm mag because it's hard on the targets which I understand and my 22 is too small. I've been thinking about a 6.5 or 7 prc and would prefer the 7 but not sure if they would frown on it being potentially slightly more energy than the 7 mag. Wondering if anyone else has been denied entering because of too large of cartridge or if it was a one off that I ran into a couple years ago when I inquired
I shot a 6.8 Western last year with no issue, so 7PRC is fine. There was also a guy there shooting 300WM and nobody batted an eye. Any of the options you mentioned will work outside of the 22 creed.

They have a cap on top end velocity, not cartridge size as long as it's 30 cal or smaller. 3275fps is their velocity cap.

I definitely get the need to spot impacts to be competitive but I really just want the practice. I shoot my 300prc off a tripod a lot and able to hit 3" gongs out to 550 yards pretty consistently but it's always at the same range and never under pressure. The event I checked into a couple years ago I think was called best of the west or something like that and they were the ones that said nothing over 7mm mag. I sometimes like to go over to eastern Washington and shoot longer distances is really what's keeping me from the smaller cartridges but may dip down to the 6.5 prc just to not be a problem and being able to run large rifle primers would be nice. I looked up the event calendar but will look again for contact information to inquire about max cartridge. Just thought I'd bounce it off here to see if anybody else had issues

Creeds are hands down the most popular in these matches, and perfectly capable of shooting out to the max ranges of these matches, which rarely exceeds 1000 yards. I used 6.5 prc in my first ever match and it worked well but I do see the advantages of the creeds. If you're set on running the 300 I'd slow it down and give yourself a shot at spotting impacts

I will echo above run a 230 atip at like 2600 fps and learn and enjoy the practice. The wife and I will be running 25 creeds schedules don't allow any nrl hunters this year just prs. Factory 225's will be fine as well. I'm a run what ya brung type of that what it means for someone to get in to it.one of the matches I ro'd for guys ran 7suam couple 300 wsm's 30-06's. Obviously guys shooting and winning ran 6.5creed/6.5prc for the factory class. Open heavy and open light we're both won by the creed. If your not there to walk the prize table then I'd seriously consider loading the 230 atip at 2600 and go smack steel

It sounds like a 7prc wouldn't raise any concerns which would I'd really like. I've shot the 6.5 creed and 6.5 prc and just don't do as good at the longer ranges from lack of skill/practice out past 550 yards and it's about a 4hour drive to practice. I seem to be pretty good at first round hits with the 300 and on paper, the 190 Atips shouldn't be too much different and not raise any eyebrows. Thanks everyone for the advice

It sounds like a 7prc wouldn't raise any concerns which would I'd really like. I've shot the 6.5 creed and 6.5 prc and just don't do as good at the longer ranges from lack of skill/practice out past 550 yards and it's about a 4hour drive to practice. I seem to be pretty good at first round hits with the 300 and on paper, the 190 Atips shouldn't be too much different and not raise any eyebrows. Thanks everyone for the advice
Would be just fine! But the ro's might give ya a chuckle or two, they're used to seeing little 6.5 creeds impacting steel so when the big heavier rounds hit they get a little giggle lol. My buddy shot 7 Saum a couple years ago in teams, and the muzzle blast vaporized their marker flag..everyone got a good kick out of it.

Ya, I wouldn't really want to draw any attention to myself as I'm still learning/enjoying but hopefully a 7prc doesn't seem ridiculous

Ya, I wouldn't really want to draw any attention to myself as I'm still learning/enjoying but hopefully a 7prc doesn't seem ridiculous
No it'll be fine, like I said though it wouldn't hurt to load it down just to give ya a little extra flight time/reduced recoil to spot impacts!