Max Scope Adj

Elite Muzzleloader

So finished sighting in my rifle and I only have 16 moa left. This is on a smokeless muzzleloader to be specific on the rifle. My friend has basically the same rifle and is shooting the same load however he is using different scope base and rings. His scope has a max 50 moa adjustment where mine has a max of 55 moa adjustment. We are both sighted in at 200 yards shooting same bullet and load. I believe that the base and rings are the issue. We are both using standard rings and bases just different brands. Could this be the issue? I have a Nikon Prostaff XR 3.5-14x40 1/4" adjustment his is a Nikon Buckmasters 4-18x40 target turrets 1/8" adjustment.

Thanks for any input.

Take a look at Burris Rings. They offer a set of offsets (Burris Signature ***-Align Offset Insert Kits & Individual Inserts 626019, 626017, 626018, 626024, 626016. Burris Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases)
I use them in my Weaver Style Zee Rings (Burris 1 Signature Zee Weaver-Style Rings) and get about 10 MOA correction for my Zeiss Conquest on a picatinny rail mount.

I should have been more specific on the 16 moa left is elevation and my buddy has 30 moa left of elevation. Basically same set up.

My question is could it be the rings or base Why our elevation is different? This is the only thing different on our rifles and loads.

MOst likely the alignment of bore to mount or action. As the poster above states get the Burris ***-Align rings, and then your angular system will be infinitely adjustable.

You need some cant in your base set up....... If you can't get a sloped rail for your particular rifle you could always do a little improvising. A couple thousands spacer under your rear base and some bedding compound should make a big difference

Thanks guys it's a Remington 700 ML 45 custom smokeless. I was looking at getting a 20 moa base for it. Right now it's zeroed for 200 and I'd like to shoot 800 as it is I will only be able to shoot 600.

I really appreciate the replies thanks.

It's pretty common in production rifles to see the barrel installed crooked by 10 MOA or so. This could easily. Account for the differences between the two rifles.

I also recommend Burris Signature rings. You have to buy the .020" offset inserts separately.

Okay so I've been looking at these off set rings and think I'll give these a try. My only thing is I don't understand how it works never seen anything like this. I've lapped the rings and have over 75% hold. So I use these rings similar as a 20 moa base. How much can I gain?,

Thanks

What you get depends on the spacing between the rings. A .020" offset insert in one ring gives about 17 MOA offset, if the rings are separated by 4". And .020" offset inserts in two rings gives about 34 MOA.

What you get depends on the spacing between the rings. A .020" offset insert in one ring gives about 17 MOA offset, if the rings are separated by 4". And .020" offset inserts in two rings gives about 34 MOA.

Will it explain how to install? This rifle kicks very hard and I am also concerned about them shifting after install could this happen?

I have not had any problems with scopes slipping in Signature Rings, even with magnum rifle calibers. I always use a torque wrench. I've noticed that the ring inserts "relax" a bit during the first 10-15 min after first tightening the ring screws. I always re-tighten the screws after waiting 15 min or so.

The .020" offset inserts come in matched pairs, with one being .020" thicker, and the other .020" thinner, than nominal. In your case, you want to put the thick insert in the bottom of the rear ring, and in the top of the front ring.

I always center the reticle and use a boresight collimator to check ring axis alignment relative to bore axis at the muzzle. Sometimes I rotate the inserts a bit to correct for a small windage error in ring alignment to the bore.

I have not had any problems with scopes slipping in Signature Rings, even with magnum rifle calibers. I always use a torque wrench. I've noticed that the ring inserts "relax" a bit during the first 10-15 min after first tightening the ring screws. I always re-tighten the screws after waiting 15 min or so.

Never though of that--thks. Bruce for the tip!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.