mauser

fist of all the 98 mauser is a fine action for a sporing rifle.pretty strong.i have seen 1000 yard benchrest rifles that use these actions in many different calibers.but........these actions were mass produced by a lot of manufacturers during wartime.the best ones to my knowledge have BRNO on the large ring.these actions are heat treated properly.some of the others were made elseware and are not of the same quality.these actions are "sloppy" as far as the bolt locking up and thus not keeping the bolt face square with the chamber.most of these actions are "military surplus".they can be worked on and gotten into decent shape by a gunsmith.a mauser also has a "claw"extractor.they were designed to pick up a round from the magazine,and not to be used as a single shot.a gunsmith may be able to help out here too,those 1000 yard rifles wearing a mauser are single shots.please dont take the info i'm giving you as "you got junk"its quite a fine piece of engineering/still used today.i'm by no means an expert,just letting you know what i know.i have a 98 mauser in 30-06,love it for pa whitetails in woods.wouldnt trade it for a thing.jason

The mauser is easily converted to single shot with a "benchrest follower" (thank Roy in Idaho). It costs $19.95 and just slips in from the bottom on top of the regular follower.

I am running cartridges measuring 3.409 using it as single shot.

A quality smith can square up the receiver and the bolt face and the lugs and it will shoot really well if the barrel and chamber are up to it.

P.S

You will need a quality trigger.

A 416 Rigby can be built on a 98 Mauser Action as a repeater.
John Ribgy & Company built manny this way. Harry Shelby once uesd one as his main rifle when he Guided Robert Rourk on Safari......

I have a .338/300 on a markX action shoots great.Sub min out to 750 yds. fartherest I have shot it.While everyone isn't crazy about Mausers they are still good actions to build on. I have a 22br on a Parker Hale (98) that shoots bug holes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Argentine Model 1909 is the best of any Mauser 98 variant out there. The magazine design is superior to that of Gehwer 98. The fit and finish is top notch. I own two chambered for 280 and 6MM Remington. Both are very accurate.
IMGP0504.jpg

IMGP0506.jpg

I have about six or seven rifles built on Mauser actions. All shoot VERY well. They are not BR quality accurate but all capable or MOA to at least 500yds. The most "custom" of the bunch is a .30 Gibbs that is completely tricked...Shilen 25.5" tube, Haoland QD, Timney trigger, Boyd's stock, squared and the works. It will shoot sub-MOA to 500yds (longest range I have available).

Only shot one deer with it...445yds w/ a 165gr Hornady Interlock w/ MV at 3100fps.

skitch,the mauser i have is a vz24/brno too,a good one.i dont have a 300 ultra or a 7mm dakota.but i did have a 300 weatherby chambered barrel on a 30-06 length action(single shot bolt action). the weatherby should use a magnum length action.your mauser is a standard 30-06 length action.the only problem i had was if i didnt fire the cartrige in the chamber and unloaded the gun,the oal of the weatherby cartrige wouldnt come out of the loading port.oal too long.had to take bolt out to unload gun.pain in the rear end.the 300 ultra is longer than a weatherby...........jason

where to get a pic of a few Mausers action. trying to find out which types i have. i know they need kirby helping hand. as soon i get the time their going out to him.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.