mauser action for project?

npd

I just bought a FN mauser 30-06 for 200 dollars. I want to use the action and start a project gun, new barrel,stock . I will be using it to take whitetail out to 500 yards. It will stay a 30-06 just wondering if I am pointed in the right direction thanks for the help.

ps can anyone tell me where to get quality parts for the rifle.

thank you for your time Chris

npd from a guy that has built 4 rifles on the Mauser action do yourself a favor unless you have the tools avaliable :) sell the rifle and buy you one of the Savage/Stevens action's you'll be money ahead. Later,

Kirk

npd, if it's a FN, you shouldn't need any parts except a barrel and possibly a stock. Brownells carries both. If it's a military, you need to know a little more before making plans. In general, the commercial large rings and most of the military large rings are good candidates for working guns. It will help if you have the equipment to do the work yourself, but that's true of any action. I'm going to be turkey hunting for the next few days, but there are guys on this site that can help you positively identify your action by the markings on the receiver, the shroud, safety, and the thumb notch (or not) on the left receiver rail.

Good luck, Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.