Mauser action use for LRH?

Gert Odendaal

I saw very few threads regarding the use of Mauser actions on long range hunting rifles, is there a specific reason for this , since in the WW1/2 Mausers were used as sniper rifles? What have changed since ? Are these barrels actions not good anymore? Did technology changed so much ?

wow, where to start. when you say "mauser" which ones do you mean?
The first rifle I ever did (.338 Win) is based on Oberndorf 98 mauser, and I still take it with me as a backup whenever I travel to hunt. I have several others (built by others ) that are absolutely great shooters and one that is truly beautiful (engraved/inlays,etc.) . that said, I believe the reason we don't use them as much anymore is that to make 'em "pretty" requires a lot of machine work to get rid of the military "humps and bumps", and unless your SURE of the action strength be careful as to cal. operating pressure.

I made a LR package with a Mark X action which is a modern mauser. Joel Russo worked with me to inlet one of his laminates. Near Mfg has a picatinny rail that fits the action.

I am happy with the end result. Have put two very different barrels on it. Can switch them myself.

Picture shows long throated 338 RCM with 300 gr berger hybrids. Barrel should last forever with 57 gr of RL-17 for velocity of 2550.

Other barrel is a 29 1/4" SS chambered in 7/375 Ruger. 180 Berger target hybrids vel 3175 fps
Intend to use it for a coues wt hunt this fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.