Mass Shootings - Why?

When we were talking about this the other day my granddaughter, who is in high school, was telling us (besides what I stated in the previous post) that besides the main door being locked and each classroom door locked, each room has some type of what she called a fire door lock that can be installed in seconds over the inside of the door that makes it virtually impossible for the door to be opened from the outside. Additionally, and don't laugh, each seating has either a couple rocks, 1/2 bricks and other fairly heavy objects that are used to throw at an intruder to keep him distracted as they mass attack him and subdue him.

Give kids rocks but don't allow teachers to carry. 😱 Insanity.

Read somewhere that after repeated Palestinian attacks on schools, Israel trained and armed teachers and attacks ceased. IDK whether true - but it makes sense.

Starry-eyed Believers say "Teachers shouldn't have to have guns!" Betcha every teacher who has faced a sick murderer would have given anything for a firearm and the training to use it. Like it or not, school employees are THERE when s**t goes down.

Make it volunteer basis, provide at least annual training / quals and a biometric lockbox / on-body carry. After 9/11 TSA (?) began training & arming airline flight deck officers that way: Volunteers, VIGOROUS training including hand-to-hand combat, annual requals. They're not on every flight but like CCW, the bad actors are playing the odds. AFAIK the program is ongoing.

We protect politicians but not our kids. WHO MATTERS MORE?

There has been some judgemental stances on here. but for the most part I agree it's not been bad. I think the reason is overall people's attitudes towards firearms on here is mostly pro gun/ pro 2A. That's not true of our general population. We're fairly divided in our country. And the vitriol/ hate is the worst I've seen in my 50 plus years. IMO it's more of a threat than even terrorism in our country.

Until the early 90's, the 2nd amendment was never really an issue. There was give and take on both sides. Even Ronald Reagan supported gun control. Ronald Reagan is the reason that fully automatic weapons are so expensive today. In TN when I bought my first handgun back in the 80's, there was a background check and a 5 to 7 day waiting period and it was not forced on us by liberals. It did not bother me at all because that is the way it has always been growing up in TN and it did not seem unreasonable. In the early 90's it was almost like a war between republicans and democrats got started. You weren't allowed to work together or god forbid compromise on anything. As time has progressed, it has only gotten worse. Now its the people leaning the hardest to the right and left in the perspective parties that get to determine the agenda of the party. The people in the party who are leaning more towards the middle have to keep their mouths shut and not betray the party. I am not sure what everyone else thinks of when they see Make America Great Again, but I think of a time when democrats and republicans worked together to make this country better for everyone. Maybe that was just a fantasy and it never happened. Almost seems like it now.

The real problem is most Americans are clueless to what the Constitution means to our freedoms. The media and politicians refer to 2A as the hunting rights amendment.

But there are some who get it. I had a discussion recently with several professional level people and their opinion is they comply with the government first and Constitution second since it has no power. I tried to explain why we have a Constitution to "restrain" the government and not to restrain our freedoms and it fell on deaf ears. This is what we are facing.

16B4DA89-B880-4F5D-982E-6C8A0FF36313.jpeg

Until the early 90's, the 2nd amendment was never really an issue. There was give and take on both sides. Even Ronald Reagan supported gun control. Ronald Reagan is the reason that fully automatic weapons are so expensive today. In TN when I bought my first handgun back in the 80's, there was a background check and a 5 to 7 day waiting period and it was not forced on us by liberals. It did not bother me at all because that is the way it has always been growing up in TN and it did not seem unreasonable. In the early 90's it was almost like a war between republicans and democrats got started. You weren't allowed to work together or god forbid compromise on anything. As time has progressed, it has only gotten worse. Now its the people leaning the hardest to the right and left in the perspective parties that get to determine the agenda of the party. The people in the party who are leaning more towards the middle have to keep their mouths shut and not betray the party. I am not sure what everyone else thinks of when they see Make America Great Again, but I think of a time when democrats and republicans worked together to make this country better for everyone. Maybe that was just a fantasy and it never happened. Almost seems like it now.
There are politicians & people who do not want America to be great again, Biden is only finishing what Obama started. Trump was a speed bump. Todays progressive's are yesterdays radicals, (according to the definition of yesterdays "progressives")

The question of why these things keep happening is answered by the entire world is based on percentages every thing that takes place is a percentage you put more people in the world the percentage of idiots goes up guns don't help the problems with these people because it is a lazy persons tool to create as much damage as possible if it were allowed to hang perpetrators in public kicking for a breath of air for 30 minutes and have the media put out there this is what will happen to you it might get a few of thems attention then there is the percentage that nothing will cure that has wasted oxygen their whole life and it will still happen they are offered way to many chances it doesn't help most of the time this is from experience. David

there's no compromise anymore. voting for either side means that you vehemently support anything that that side does or says. which is not the case. i voted for trump, but i didnt agree with everything he did and said. our elected officials from the white house down to the mayors house should be doing what is best for all americans. not a select few. but all they do, both sides, is get in the way. it's like choosing between 2 bowls of dog caca where the only difference is the hue of brown.

Like I said gun laws have become much more restrictive since the 90's like you said and yet these school shootings have increased. So apparently these gun laws aren't helping. The new method of trying to ban anything is to make it so expensive no one can afford them. Through taxes, classes, licensing, insurance ete are just some of the ways the anti gunners are raising the costs. Now DD is facing a law suit and it was announced that Glock is facing one too. I've watched what has happened in California as far as gun laws. I'm not convinced they are as concerned with lives as is claimed. if they were then the stance on abortions wouldn't be as staunch as it is. As of now there are average 1 million abortions per year in the US. All deaths with firearms is around 33k per year. So called "assault rifles" is less than 1 percent of that. Give them an inch they'll take a mile. I've watched that since the 80's.

Mass Shootings - Why?

In any group of millions, there'll always be some who imagine themselves above "the law," that rules of civil social engagement don't apply to them. Always, because humans are human, honestly not all that different from most other aggressive "apex predator" animals on Earth.

Key problems I see include:

• Parenting. Or, rather, the lack of it. A "latchkey" kid learns what he'll learn, in ways that many won't like. The "street" can be a harsh teacher. Reduced moral compass, reduced willingness to play nice with others. reduced drive to succeed lawfully, impeded education, impeded socialization skills, etc.
  • Education. Or, rather, the lack of it. The percentage of maladjusted uneducated sorts who get a diploma is an embarrassment. And education that eviscerates the "three R's" (reading, writing, arithmetic) at the expense of social re-engineering and culteralization isn't worthy of the term.
  • Laws have a hard time targeting and catching violent criminals, when criminals won't regard such laws as things they need to be concerned with.
  • Laws that effectively target everybody end up disabling the upstanding and reducing or eliminating their ability to withstand violent crime if it does occur. The upstanding, for the most part, won't go unlawful; and the violently criminal will generally find a way irrespective of such laws. Result is: softer targets than before, at even greater risk of being overcome in the event of violent crime.
  • "Mental" treatment of supposedly wonky or insane violent sorts isn't what it used to be. Failure to help such violent sorts take the "edge" off leads to nowhere good.
  • Inability to effectively identify and corral violent types before they "blow" is a problem. Hard to do, with so many millions in tens of thousands of communities across a nation. And as we urbanize, more people can easily blend-in with those around them. Unless clear signs are seen for what they portend, it's hard to put "two and two" together in time to put a halt to what's coming.
  • Jumping on somebody ahead of a crime gets tricky. Let that sink in. Then consider what we'd want done to us, if we've not yet committed any crime. Tough problem.
  • Easy access to tools that a violent person might employ doesn't help. But erasure of such tools from the upstanding absolutely doesn't help.
  • Incarceration that neither rehabilitates nor corrects behavior has little to no value, for keeping violent people from being violent.

Fixing those issues would go a long way toward ensuring most youth get on the right path and stay there. And it'd go a long way toward actually getting value for money, for such so-called "investments" as "corrections" systems and legal revolving doors that masquerade as "justice."

There are politicians & people who do not want America to be great again, Biden is only finishing what Obama started. Trump was a speed bump. Todays progressive's are yesterdays radicals, (according to the definition of yesterdays "progressives")
Perhaps thats what Biden believes will make America great again. As for today's progressives are yesterday's radicals, Reagan would not have a chance today of winning the presidency because he was too moderate. He signed gun control legislation as both governor and president. Its happening in both parties.

Those that think we should give a little.
You give a kid a scoop of ice cream, and they want more. Then they want a Lil more. Don't that remind you of what we have in DC.
Those that think we need to compromise on our 2A. Lose a little 2A and then they want more.
But their not after a little. They want to ban AR's and to take them away. Then it's auto's and down the list. They want your guns, all of them. They don't want to cut the mass murder problem, they want to disarm the people. They fear your guns. Not the many guns they are surrounded by. The 2A is in place to control a power hungry congress, senate, president. The reason we still have any rights now is because of our arms. Once that's gone, we're a commy controlled country with no rights.

Don't trust the govement. They want the power and you powerless.

The real problem is most Americans are clueless to what the Constitution means to our freedoms. The media and politicians refer to 2A as the hunting rights amendment.

But there are some who get it. I had a discussion recently with several professional level people and their opinion is they comply with the government first and Constitution second since it has no power. I tried to explain why we have a Constitution to "restrain" the government and not to restrain our freedoms and it fell on deaf ears. This is what we are facing.

View attachment 369458

Ironically, I am far more worried about the people deciding to overthrow the government because they don't like who the people elected than I am the government. People stormed the capitol in an attempt to overturn an election in this country. That wasn't 100 or 200 years ago. That was a little over a year ago. I am not hanging onto my ARs to defend myself from the government. I am hanging onto them to defend myself and my country from them.