Maryland DNR

Rimfire

Kind of a funny story

I got out on a new farm today with a friend to shoot some G-hogs. The farmer was nice enough to give us a tour of the farm on his Gator, and let us shoot any time we want. Well after the farmer left we set up on high ground and started glassing. It didn't take long and we spotted our first hog at 280 yards so I popped it with the 222 Vixen. Next we started seeing hogs out further so I pulled out the 6.5-284 and set it up. I got down behind the gun to get it set at which time I heard "What-ch ya shootin targets or groundhogs?" I knew it didn't sound like my friend so I looked over my shoulder and to my surprise I saw a uniform DNR Police Officer. I'm still wondering if he heard me mumble "SHHHit" Well after the usual questions do you have written permission, and where is your Orange, I figured we would split the fines
icon_rolleyes.gif

After explaining the farmer had just left, the conversation changed to Man this is a great spot! What are you guys shooting? The DNR guy then advised he shoots a 220 swift and his best hog was taken at 405 yards. He then asked if he could look through the Kowa Spotting Scope. About 10 seconds later I hear there's one how far is it. My friend hits it with the Leica and states 460. DNR guy asks can you hit it? I replied if it's OK with you I'll kill it. He said go ahead I'll spot it. So I wacked It.
icon_biggrin.gif

He went on to spot another for the 222 and told us to get the farmer to sign permission and keep it with us and throw on an orange hat next time. Nice guy and a decent spotter
hn_beerchug.gif

"Fast is fine, accurate is final"

If you got a name, I'd send him a thank you card (with no incriminating verbage), or give him a call and just say "thanks for the tips", or "I appreciate the courtesy".

Might want to stay on his good side.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.