Marlin X7 Bolt face. Can it be opened?

entoptics

Just toying around with ideas for a beater rifle I've been practicing my amateur gunsmithing skills on.

It's a Marlin X7 in 270 Win, and I've contemplated a rebarrel job, particularly in 264 Win or 7mm Rem mag. Problem is, they were only offered in a 0.473 bolt face, so no replacement part to purchase.

3 questions that google didn't answer satisfactorily...

1) I thought I read somewhere that the X7 shares a bolt head with some other type of rifle (don't think it's Savage, though design is similar). If so, presumably I could buy a 0.532 bolt head for that rifle and swap it in?

2) If that's not the case, I've seen mention of "opening up the bolt face". What does that entail? Can an amateur gunsmith do it?

3) From my understanding, the Marlin barrel is identical to a Savage, but slightly longer shanked, so it requires milling a few thousandths off the breach face. Again, is that as simple as chucking it up, and just taking a bit of material off till it headspaces properly?

I have access to a fairly decent shop with an ancient, but well maintained Monarch lathe. I'm definitely not a machinist, but I'm handy enough, and have had good success with other projects. I don't mind taking my time, and the whole point is to learn a new skill and not spend any "stupid money". Buying a moderately priced barrel is worth it, but not if I risk destroying it during some complicated operation.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.