Mark 4 vs. VX-3... Any Difference?

jhibbard24

Like the title says, whats the difference if any... Price? I would rather build a VX-3 from the custom shop at leupold with the turrets and reticle that i want and still be under the cost of the Mark 4.

Does anyone else notice how there is a lot of items out there that when titled or described as "Tactical" the price tends to be much much higher. Sounds like a selling gimmick to me. Kinda like when i buy boat parts that have the word "marine" in the title; no difference except for an extra $100.

The MK 4 is "designed" to be a dial up scope. Target turrets can be put on about any scope, but that does mean they will hold "zero" after being dialed a few times.

It is my understanding a MK 4 has much tighter tolerance internal components to ensure accuracy and repeatability of dialing the turrets.

I just bought my first MK 4 a few weeks ago for a competition .22 and so far I am quite pleased with it's performance. I have several NF NXS on my LR rifles. When you dial a 1/2 moa, you move a 1/2 moa..... period and they always return to zero. I am hoping to get the performance from the MK 4. I have tried dialing "standard" scopes, Leupold, Nikon and others and have been less than pleased. In my opinion, if you are going to "dial up" use a scope that was designed from the ground up to be used that way. Just my opinion.....:)

I do know this. If you go to a BR competition, you will see quite a few MK 4s but very few if any VX-3s with target turrets.

I have a early var 3, that is marked tactical, It had the capped type target turret, I changed to low profile cds.This turret does not climb like my M4 does. Functions different, but on my M4 I put a plastic washer under cap, and made a zero stop, I think I could run a allen screw threw top of cap for adjustment, but this turret climbs, and has a scale next to it, much easier to keep track of. My sons has messed up my cds several times, not sure if this would be issue,had good luck with vari 3, my M4 WAS more than double the $ but I got everything I wanted, it is more scope side by side, weighs more also

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.