Manners BDL Inlet?

Bergerblaster

I ordered a Manners EH1 with Remington 700 BDL inlet for the bottom metal. Does anyone know if they inlet the BDL so the floor plate is recessed down in the stock?

Wishing now I would have ordered it with an Oberndorf BDL. I haven't received the stock yet and why I'm asking.

I've have seen some from Manners that appear to be recessed. Didn't know if this is something they did on their older stocks. I've seen some that are not and sit on top as well.

Good luck, this is a Manners REM 700 BDL.
first off, my dealer (on this site) offered to refund my money TWICE. That guy went above and beyond.

enter manners...
they got the pictures and their comment was "we don't know what it is", most people justs bed the btm metal. WTH??
When I shot that down they said send it back and your btm metal.
They then said they had 3 BDL bottoms in house and all were different. Maybe so, but I have 3 stocks, all BDL and the same btm metal fits all 3 like a glove. From 10 years old to 6 months.
Ended up having them cut an M5 Oberndorf.

I suggest you give them a call and change the inlet to M5 Oberndorf.

Oh, and they screwed up the oberndorf as well; .030" difference between front and rear btm metal pads and overall too deep. Had to bed the inlet after all.

1 (Small).jpeg

3 (Small).jpeg

4 (Small).jpeg

6 (Small).jpeg

Last edited:
Good luck, this is a Manners REM 700 BDL.
first off, my dealer (on this site) offered to refund my money TWICE. That guy went above and beyond.

enter manners...
they got the pictures and their comment was "we don't know what it is", most people justs bed the btm metal. WTH??
When I shot that down they said send it back and your btm metal.
They then said they had 3 BDL bottoms in house and all were different. Maybe so, but I have 3 stocks, all BDL and the same btm metal fits all 3 like a glove. From 10 years old to 6 months.
Ended up having them cut an M5 Oberndorf.

I suggest you give them a call and change the inlet to M5 Oberndorf.

Oh, and they screwed up the oberndorf as well; .030" difference between front and rear btm metal pads and overall too deep. Had to bed the inlet after all.

View attachment 429074

View attachment 429076
View attachment 429077
View attachment 429078
wow that's not even close. How long ago was this done? So your floor plate is recessed down in the stock?

I have seen this "vacant" space with Hawkins Obendorf on a BDL on my EH1s.

I did order a M5 Obendorf from them and it did not have the vacant space.

FWIW I've got an original Remington BDL, a PTG BDL, and a Hawkins BDL. And they are all different and some won't fit a stock that others will. All stocks inlet for Rem 700 BDL. So Manners isn't all wrong….

Yeah I have some PTG and Remington and they are definitely different. Find it hard to believe though that Remington BDL varies that much. Seemed to work for Remington and their stocks along with a bunch of aftermarket stock companies. I could see if you ordered Remington BDL inlet and the PTG not fitting.

FWIW I've got an original Remington BDL, a PTG BDL, and a Hawkins BDL. And they are all different and some won't fit a stock that others will. All stocks inlet for Rem 700 BDL. So Manners isn't all wrong….

mine came off a factory Rem sps 7stw
Stocks it fit were Factory, Greybull, and Mesa Altitude
The stock was supposed to be cut Rem 700 BDL, not a PTG and not a Hawkins. As far as I know that 700 BDL hasn't changed since the 60's.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone mention the depth of the stock. Many times mixed bottom metal components floor plate, magazine box, and stocks from different manufacturers determine how the floor plate is end up. Either flush, or not flush. In almost 30 years of building rifles, I've never seen where it affects the way the rifle shoots. Talk to your Riflesmith before you start ordering parts, builds go better without the surprises at the end. Don't assume one size fits all.

Last edited:
mine came off a factory Rem sps 7stw
Stocks it fit were Factory, Greybull, and Mesa Altitude
The stock was supposed to be cut Rem 700 BDL, not a PTG and not a Hawkins. As far as I know that 700 BDL hasn't changed since the 60's.
Yeah, it's frustrating that's for sure. I've got a Manners that is Rem 700 BDL inlet, the Rem BDL will fit but PTG won't. Have a McMillan that is Rem 700 BDL, the Rem BDL and PTG will fit but the Hawkins won't. Then had a Proof BDL stock off an Elevation that the Rem and Hawkins fit but the PTG wouldn't.

I've learned to keep an OEM Rem 700 BDL pot metal around to test each stock I buy.

If the stock is cut deep enough that the floor plate is recessed I would think that your magazine box would hold the action and bottom metal apart and the stock would be loose. The magazine box should have a little bit of movement when the barreled action is torqued down in the stock.