MagPro or N-165 for 338 Lapua?

MyTime

My last rifle purchase before I retire from the Army in a few months will be a Savage 110FCP 338 Lapua. I will hand load. I'm looking at the 225 grain Hornady SST to start off with. I have access to MagPro and N-165 and that is it...no Retumbo, no H1000, no IMR 4831, etc.

I am not new at reloading (10 years with 7mm mag, 308, 6.8SPC, 45-70, 223, 45, 10mm, 40 S&W) but I have zero experience reloading the 338 Lapua. I would like to learn from you before I make my purchase. Is one more consistent than the other? Is there something I should know?

Of these two powders is one a better choice than the other, and why?

Thank you!

MyTime

My hornady #9 says 81.7 to 92.7 for N-165 nothing for Magpro. My lee manual has data for a 250 and magpro 84 to 93. See if you can find data at Steve's reloading pages.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Thanks for the response Bob.

I have the Hornady reloading manual that lists N-165 loads from 2500 to 2900 fps. Since MagPro is available locally (and 2/3 the price of N-165) I looked it up from the MFGR. MagPro load data showed a range of 92.4 grains @ 2810 and up to 102.6 grains @ 3126 fps. Since these are the only two locally available powders. The goal, given the options available, is to pick the most consistent powder for accuracy.

I will hand load. I'm looking at the 225 grain Hornady SST to start off with.

Just curious why you chose a 225 grain for your 338 Lapua?

Everyone has their reasons and intended use. For long range 338 work my personal preference is a high BC bullet such as the Berger or SMK in 300 grain.

MMERSS,

Simple answer: I live 10 minutes from Midsouth Shooter Supply in Clarksville TN. The bullets and powder are available. When availability of components returns I'll have more options.

Today I was lucky to be on military leave. This morning MidSouth Shooters Supply updated their web site they listed Retumbo. I purcahsed 4 cans of 1 LB so I have powder when I get the rest of the components. If you want some all I can say is that they go fast and right now is the time to call them or order online.

OK, now on to the next question: What should a 26 inch barrel 1 in 9 twist shoot most accurately? My 225 SST choice was simply an "it's available" option. I'm open to suggestions.

My purpose is 99% of the time paper targets between 100-400 yards for accuracy (the only place I have to shoot) with the goal of deer or black bear, probably white tail deer, in NC or MI this fall.

And for complete and honest disclosure, I have no experience with the 338 but in time that will change in a month or so. I have a lot to learn; that's why I'm here on this forum.

Today I was lucky to be on military leave. This morning MidSouth Shooters Supply updated their web site they listed Retumbo. I purcahsed 4 cans of 1 LB so I have powder when I get the rest of the components. If you want some all I can say is that they go fast and right now is the time to call them or order online.

OK, now on to the next question: What should a 26 inch barrel 1 in 9 twist shoot most accurately? My 225 SST choice was simply an "it's available" option. I'm open to suggestions.

My purpose is 99% of the time paper targets between 100-400 yards for accuracy (the only place I have to shoot) with the goal of deer or black bear, probably white tail deer, in NC or MI this fall.

And for complete and honest disclosure, I have no experience with the 338 but in time that will change in a month or so. I have a lot to learn; that's why I'm here on this forum.

300 grian Berger. My 9 twist Savage shoots them great with 92 grain Retumbo, 210M, and Lapua brass.

300 grian Berger. My 9 twist Savage shoots them great with 92 grain Retumbo, 210M, and Lapua brass.

I'm with MMERSS the 1 in 9 is made to take advantage of heavy for caliber bullets and slower burn rate powders. I have heard good news about the berger 300 OTM.

The data you obtained sounds good Steve's says 103 with 225's and 102 with 250's.

Shoot straight

Brownells has the 300 grain Berger Elite Hunter for $70.99...no Berger's at the local place. There's a 25-box of Norma brass for $65.00 here in town. All of the Lapua brass I find is 100 count boxes so I think I'll get my "beginner's kit" going with the Norma. I'll order the rifle in 2 weeks so I have time to accumulate supplies.

Brownells has the 300 grain Berger Elite Hunter for $70.99...no Berger's at the local place. There's a 25-box of Norma brass for $65.00 here in town. All of the Lapua brass I find is 100 count boxes so I think I'll get my "beginner's kit" going with the Norma. I'll order the rifle in 2 weeks so I have time to accumulate supplies.

Get some and give them a try. Go to Reloader's Nest - a reloaders resource and search their caliber guide they have about 30 "proven" loads for the big lapua a whole lot of 300gr bergers. Keep in mind these have been proven in someone else firearm.
Some may be in the same type rifle as your's.

The Norma brass is of good quality but I have been very satisfied with Lapua brass in 3 different cartridges.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Bob,

I was looking at Berger's site for their load data. For the 300 grain Match Grade Elite Hunter with Retumbo they list 85 grains @ 2551 to 89.5 grains @ 2680 in a 26 inch barrel. Hodgdon load data shows 85 grains @ 2376 to 94 grains @ 2654 fps in a 24 inch barrel. Eithey way you cut it this gives me a nice starting point and I will load 5 and go up 0.2 grains until my rifle shows what it likes best. The Savage I want is a 26 inch barrel.

Since I have 4 lbs of Retumbo I'll be working with that and see what I can come up with. Time is on my side, at least 2 months before I go hunting with a buddy. I love the load development process. When it's right, it's right.

Oh, I picked up a 25 box of Norma brass. I need the dies and the most important part...the rifle.

Bob,

I was looking at Berger's site for their load data. For the 300 grain Match Grade Elite Hunter with Retumbo they list 85 grains @ 2551 to 89.5 grains @ 2680 in a 26 inch barrel. Hodgdon load data shows 85 grains @ 2376 to 94 grains @ 2654 fps in a 24 inch barrel. Eithey way you cut it this gives me a nice starting point and I will load 5 and go up 0.2 grains until my rifle shows what it likes best. The Savage I want is a 26 inch barrel.

Since I have 4 lbs of Retumbo I'll be working with that and see what I can come up with. Time is on my side, at least 2 months before I go hunting with a buddy. I love the load development process. When it's right, it's right.

Oh, I picked up a 25 box of Norma brass. I need the dies and the most
important part...the rifle.

Mytime, Retumbo should be a classic powder for the big Lapua and 300gr bullets to any range you will probably want to shoot. Don't hesitate to work over the berger data as long as your not seeing pressure signs. I've heard good things about VV N-570 if you see some of that you should try it. Check out reloadersnest.com it will give you some good ideas for your new rifle.

Shoot straight and let us know how it shoots.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.