N-165

Jim Hundley

Would this powder be a good one for the .300 win.mag.with 165-180 gr.bullets?Is Vith. temperature sensitive like RL-22 or less so?Would appreciate any input of accuracy,velocity,barrel length,etc.I am currently using H-1000 with good results,but the N-165 is faster on the burn rate chart.Thanks,Jimmy.

N165 would probably work very well with the 300 WM and that range bullets. Plus it is very cool burning and less throat erosion. Normally not known for lot to lot variation, but I trust none of them any more and always test.

BH

Jimmy,
I have not found RL-22 to be overly temperature sensitive it does however vary more than most other powders from lot to lot,N165 is great powder as well in the same general burn rate and does not vary as much from lot to lot, but if RL-22 has worked in your 300WM as well as it has in mine just but a 5# jug and ajust your load a tad in 5 below zero to 110.
B

Thanks BryanB and BountyHunter,
You make sense about the RL-22.I have had good success with it in the past.I have loaded the H-1000 because it is an Extreme powder and less sensitive to temperature variation(according to the ads).The 168TSX is running at 3200fps.+/-.
Accuracy is good in the 1/2" range @100yds.The load is slightly compressed and the SD and ES are very low.The reps at Barnes and Ramshot told me to keep velocity with this bullet around 3200' to control pressures in the safe range.I don't know why I want to try another powder(???)except to not compress the loads.Any more advice,or have I found a good combination?
Thank you,
Jimmy

What is wrong with compressing loads? As long as they are not hot? I use 82 grains of Retumbo in my 300 win with a 200gr Accubond. Velocity is 3025FPS out of a Sako TRG-S and accuracy with this load is unreal. This load will shoot about a 1 1/4 at 500 yards and I don't have to worry about load density. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif IF you like your H-1000 load and it shoots well and is not hot I would not worry about it being compressed.

Dakor,
your right.I tried a recipe out of the Hogdon manual of 84 grs.Retumbo and the 200 gr.Accubond.Talk about being compressed!!!Had to jump up and down on the press arm to get the bullet seated far enough to clear the magazine.Shot from a 24" Hart @ 2950 ish.and shot in the .2's and .3's with 5 shots in .5"Heck,come to think of it,I might should try that load again for I have had a new Hart 25.3" barrel installed.Might shoot in the high 2900's and would probably be a good all around hunting load(or the 180gr.Accubond).What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim

I really like Retumbo in my 300 win. I use a 200 grain Accubond and it drives them fast and shoots very well. I think you should try Retumbo or H-1000 again I think the newer Hodgon powders are one of the best out there. Some people say that Hodgons Extreme Powders are not what they claim to be but I have done a few tests and they seem to be ok in my book. My dad bought a can of H-1000 when it first came out and a can of Varget when that first came out and only used about half of each can. So this summer I bought a new can of Varget and H-1000 and worked up my loads. After I had my loads for the 2 rifles I took the Old Varget and Old H-1000 and tried the same loads as the new cans of powder. Do you want to know what I found? The old cans of powder shot just like the new cans. After that I am convinced they are what they claim to be.

Dakor,
Just returned from the range.Tried the H=1000 again.Shot 2,three shot groups.The first was a .463",so tried another and it was a .332".Time to go home.I think I've found a good combo.168TSX,H-1000 @ 3200fps.Jimmy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimmy sounds like you have a winner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am glad things worked out for you with the H-1000. Most 300 win mags seem to like that powder. Don't be afraid to try Retumbo if you decide to shoot 190 or 200 grain bullets one day I think it will surprise you.

Are you using an extended drop tube to help pack your case tight? A good long drop tube like the Forester really helps. Also, try swirling the powder in the funnel rather than just dumping the whole batch in the middle. Technique can really help with compressed loads like you are describing.

Wapiti 13,
Glade you posted your question,for I was preparing for this post.Here is my method:
First,I throw the powder from my measure into the scale pan,then weigh the charge and trickle if necessary.Second,I use the Forster funnel and drop tube (with the swirling)to drop the powder into the case.Third,I tap the case against my bench to further settle the charge.It is a lot of trouble and was going to ask if anyone had a better method.I read a few years ago that dropping the powder directly from the measure gave more consistancy to the load.Having loaded the above with my method,my SD averaged about 13 fps.They say a good SD should be under 10fps.I really don't know what is the correct aspect to be concerned with:Sd or very small consistant groups.I'll take the latter.I throw from the measure for my 6PPC and N-133 with ES less than 10fps.,but the 133 is very small and meters well.Any advice on inproving my loading technique would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Jimmy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.