Magnum primer question

Acceptable ignition and consistency are necessary for accuracy. Uniform flasholes are necessary for Consistency, some brass is manufactured with more attention to detail and Consistency.
A side note, CCI is a trusted brand of 22 rimfire ammo, which demonstrates their ability to maint high levels of consistency.

Primer flame "size".

I find myself protecting my stash of GM215M primers like they are precious stones. Like other items that become scarce, I believe this is irrational. I currently don't shoot powder hog cartridges with extremely slow powders, but you never know when a great deal on a big magnum will come along. The last few bricks I have purchased were CCI BR-2 primers. I bought them because I found them locally and my 210's were getting low. I worked up loads and quite frankly cannot tell the difference between the other primers I was using.

^^^+1 !!!
I understand the component dilemma we all face at this time and it is not going to get any better and in fact lot worse. I am convinced this administration is targeting every aspect of civilian ammunition.

Try a different primer. Nothing to lose period. No different than trying a different powder. If they don't work to your satisfaction, use them for fire forming.

I tried Rem 9 1/2 Mag in a .270 Win load and got best accuracy, ES SD for this bullet. It's now my go to for this rifle. I use 9 1/2 LR in .243 and zero difference. In fact shot my longest kill on chuck last week at 512yds.

We are in a time of serious change in our sport. Change can be difficult or it can be a great learning experience. Those that embrace change prosper no matter what the subject matter or circumstances.

Just a thought, but would the powder you choose, not just the volume have something to do with primer performance? I used to load 79 grn IMR4350 with Rem 9 1/2 standard and never had a failure. (caution, that load is deemed UNSAFE according to Hodgdon and modern laoding manulas). I don't believe when the IMR4350 was made they had Magnum Primers. Again, just a thought.

We have reloaded at the rifle range for 30 years. One thing for sure, you do not know what primer will be best for a particular load till you try it....humbling to say the least.

Tula primers run large
Win can run small

With a good micrometer, best to measure the dia of your primers. As hot loads are ran in cases, pockets open. where you can use a larger dia primer if the load will allow this.

I use double quality control on the size of primer pockets:
I de prime with a hand tool
I prime with a hand primer

I toss brass quickly on an easy primer seat because I detest a bolt face that has been flame cut.

Why not in sub-zero? I've never heard that before.
Because where I live and hunt it does not get that cold, and if it does I am not shooting lol. Realistically, where I hunt in the Adirondacks, the coldest it gets during the antler season is around ~20F. I've had no problem shooting my STW or Rum with 100+ grains of WC872 or WC860 with normal winchester large rifle primers in the winter.

We have reloaded at the rifle range for 30 years. One thing for sure, you do not know what primer will be best for a particular load till you try it....humbling to say the least.

Tula primers run large
Win can run small

With a good micrometer, best to measure the dia of your primers. As hot loads are ran in cases, pockets open. where you can use a larger dia primer if the load will allow this.

I use double quality control on the size of primer pockets:
I de prime with a hand tool
I prime with a hand primer

I toss brass quickly on an easy primer seat because I detest a bolt face that has been flame cut.

I sold all my Winchester LRM primers a few years ago because they were on the small side.

Recent Posts