Magnum primer question

+1 on 9 1/2 Rem primers both LR and LRM configurations. I was really low on Federal and bought some and they went bang. Heck million years ago I started with REM primers and now back. ES SD is good on couple loads in couple cartridges with same accuracy. I just can't afford to be a primer snob if I want to keep shooting. Plus they have been around $90/brick. Zero misfires.

Just a little history lesson: The 375H&H was invented in 1912. The first Rifle Magnum Primer was invented in the 1950's specifically for the 30-378 WBY. So for 40+ years they were shooting H&H magnums, with standard large rifle primers. Just remember to adjust powder charge when going from one to the other. Critical when going from standard to magnum.

Last edited:
I'd run the wlrm on a bigger case, especially if you are going to encounter cold weather or you are lighting an awful lot of powder. I'm exclusively on 215's in my 300rum rifles right now, but my 7stw and 1 of my 300 win rifles is running wlrm's with equal consistency.

As to when magnum primers were born unto the world, yup there were magnum cartridges long before magnum primers. There were also precious few powders slow enough that you really needed a magnum primer, even in cold weather. I usually don't even think about a mag. primer until I get up to around 60 gr. of a rather slow burner, and even then it really depends. My 405 settles in better with wlr than wlrm primers. I've got a buddy running 215's in a 243, as that's the only primers he has and he kinda likes the rifle to go bang when he pulls the trigger.

I'd run the wlrm on a bigger case, especially if you are going to encounter cold weather or you are lighting an awful lot of powder. I'm exclusively on 215's in my 300rum rifles right now, but my 7stw and 1 of my 300 win rifles is running wlrm's with equal consistency.

As to when magnum primers were born unto the world, yup there were magnum cartridges long before magnum primers. There were also precious few powders slow enough that you really needed a magnum primer, even in cold weather. I usually don't even think about a mag. primer until I get up to around 60 gr. of a rather slow burner, and even then it really depends. My 405 settles in better with wlr than wlrm primers. I've got a buddy running 215's in a 243, as that's the only primers he has and he kinda likes the rifle to go bang when he pulls the trigger.
Wow, I run 120+g of Retumbo in my 338-416 Rigby Improved with WLR primers, never had a FTF. The only primers I've had not work in large cases are Remington, the 9 1/2 works, but it is not ideal.
I run WLRM in my 25-06 using Retumbo, but that is because I get excellent start pressures and velocity, I also run that primer for RE25 in that cartridge due to uniformity.
CCI primers have given me fits over the years, so I don't use too many of them, but if that's all that is available, I don't hesitate to use them, just prefer the magnum variety over the standard and I use them in everything, even my 22-250…

Cheers.

This might help - academia at work - actual data.

Screenshot (546).png

Over many years I have used every make of primer & never had a FTF. Some erratic velocities & extended velocity spreads with temperature extremes, like real cold & switching from extruded powders to ball powders.

To conserve my diminishing stocks of Fed 215M's (the king of all primers) I have started to use CCI 34's - my LGS has a big pile of CCI 34;'s.

Got a chronograph? - load 8 - 15 rounds and with suitable 300 RUM powders & check out velocities.

Scheels in Missoula had a big pile of CCI 34's two days ago. I use them in .22-250 to .300 WM, every powder from H4350 to Win StaBall HD

As long as you are not hunting or shooting in sub-zero conditions, I would try some normal large rifle primers. I exclusively use WLR primers in all my cartridges from 30-06 to 7mm RUM with no issues.
LOL! I use WLRM in 06 and 300 WSM. That said, I've got a brick of Feds behind my next brick of WLRM.

Wow, I run 120+g of Retumbo in my 338-416 Rigby Improved with WLR primers, never had a FTF. The only primers I've had not work in large cases are Remington, the 9 1/2 works, but it is not ideal.
I run WLRM in my 25-06 using Retumbo, but that is because I get excellent start pressures and velocity, I also run that primer for RE25 in that cartridge due to uniformity.
CCI primers have given me fits over the years, so I don't use too many of them, but if that's all that is available, I don't hesitate to use them, just prefer the magnum variety over the standard and I use them in everything, even my 22-250…

Cheers.
What's the coldest temperature you shoot in? I need my rifle cartridges to fire at 20 to 30 below zero. I need decent uniformity and positive ignition no matter the temperature. It's the same reason you buy the v8 truck with the tow package even if you might only need a 6 popper; insurance that the job gets done. The wlr isn't really a mild primer either. It works about like the rem mag. primer from what I've seen. Winchester ball powder is rather tough to ignite so they don't have a very mild standard primer.
As to CCI, I gave up on them for the most part when I saw how much debris they leave when you fire them without powder. The Fed, Win, and Remmy primers are rather clean. The CCI will leave a fouled bore in a couple of firings and if you catch the residue coming out its a heck of a lot more than the others too. It's not like I use zero CCI, but I refrain from using them, especially when I am already lighting a rather dirty powder to begin with.

What's the coldest temperature you shoot in?
I don't know Fahrenheit numbers, but cold for me is -5°—-8° C for winter when the deer are in hard antler. Snow is not uncommon and hunting in New Zealand during winter can be colder than that.
I still use WLR primers in the cold with stick powder, I use WLRM or Fed215 for ball powder, especially in my 375 Weatherby and 300RUM with 780 Supreme. Love that powder, wish they'd release it again.

Cheers.

This is just a GUESS!!!! and its only conversation, but I think if the powder Charge is under 60 / 62 Grains of powder, and its not freezing outside, then perhaps Win LR Primers would be ADAQUATE for a session at the range.??? Sadly my 270 Weatherby mag is 67.3 Grns of 4350 , so I don't think it would work very well for me. At a gun show in Penn last month a seller had a Brick of REM LR Mag Primers . for $140 . No one was interested. I have no information Rem LR Mag Primers. At some point I may have to open the box I have had for several years. At the Bench Rest match last weekend many Excellent shooters were talking about some guys in Texas who tested 4 different primes with no significant difference in his Aggregates??? His best Groupe was shot with the least expensive primers he tested. I remain confused!!! The true impact primers have on both Velocity and Accuracy is something I would like to study !!! I also wonder if Reaming the Flash holes has any positive effect.

Recent Posts