Magazine length and bullet seating

Philward

Rifle is a Remington 700 LR that a co worker has and I am helping him get a load setup for it. Caliber is 7mm RM and he bought a couple of bullets to try, Barnes 168 LRX and Hornady 162 BTSP. I have some test loads setup but I forgot to measure the magazine length to see how far out I can safely seat the bullets and still fit in magazine. I don't have the rifle with me but did have it and measured max OAL "to lands" for each bullet and I seated bullets to Barnes recommended 0.050 off lands and the Hornady at 0.020 off lands.

My question is if anyone has this rifle, what is the magazine length of this rifle? It seems to be throated pretty long as well. I tried fitting the rounds in my 700 7mmRM but it has a quickclip installed and it may be shorter than the internal magazine and floorplate setup. I don't trust him to measure correctly :-( or I would just call and ask him.

Rifle is a Remington 700 LR that a co worker has and I am helping him get a load setup for it. Caliber is 7mm RM and he bought a couple of bullets to try, Barnes 168 LRX and Hornady 162 BTSP. I have some test loads setup but I forgot to measure the magazine length to see how far out I can safely seat the bullets and still fit in magazine. I don't have the rifle with me but did have it and measured max OAL "to lands" for each bullet and I seated bullets to Barnes recommended 0.050 off lands and the Hornady at 0.020 off lands.

My question is if anyone has this rifle, what is the magazine length of this rifle? It seems to be throated pretty long as well. I tried fitting the rounds in my 700 7mmRM but it has a quickclip installed and it may be shorter than the internal magazine and floorplate setup. I don't trust him to measure correctly :-( or I would just call and ask him.

ALL Remington 700 long actions (standard, magnum, ultra-mag) have a 3.700" magazine box.

You will not hit the end of a Rem 700 mag box with a 7mm RemMag that has a SAAMI spec chamber.

Even with my Rem 700 .300WM, I can seat to within .010" off the lands, and still not reach the end of the magazine.

Thank you sir. They will fit easily. I remember I have a bdl floorplate and mag box in a drawer and measured it after posting.

ALL Remington 700 long actions (standard, magnum, ultra-mag) have a 3.700" magazine box.

You will not hit the end of a Rem 700 mag box with a 7mm RemMag that has a SAAMI spec chamber.

Even with my Rem 700 .300WM, I can seat to within .010" off the lands, and still not reach the end of the magazine.

I wish. My 700 in 7mmstw isn't even close. the longest I can load a cartridge and it still fit in the magazine is 3.63 and that leaves close to .01 of clearance.

I wish. My 700 in 7mmstw isn't even close. the longest I can load a cartridge and it still fit in the magazine is 3.63 and that leaves close to .01 of clearance.

Well, I pulled out a magbox and measured it to 3.700" with a caliper before I posted, so... Either your magbox is shorter than the one in my 5R .300WM, or something else is causing you to get a different measurement. I've measured several of my mag boxes before, and they all were right around 3.700" inside measurement.

Just for reference, SAAMI spec for factory STW cartridges is 3.600".

Remington website states that 700 in 7mmstw magazine is 3.65. That is what mine is.

That may be what they state, and that may be what their spec-standard calls for, but my .300WM magazine length is 3.700" when I took the rifle apart, removed the mag box, and measured it the other night to try to help the OP. I think it might be kind of stupid to argue over .05"...We'll agree to disagree.

The odds of a mass-produced and stamped piece of metal being .05" in variance, is very likely...Therefore, I'm not going to continue this stupid arguement, especially when I know what my calipers said.

i am still learning but my magazine when measured with caliber a is 3.65 and it wouldn't matter if it was 3.7 when my chamber is 3.85 measured with a hornady oal gauge.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.