Macula Degeneration-------and Optics/Sights/etc.

AGL4now

Macula Degeneration-------and Optics/Sights/etc.

Can we talk about sighting options for living with macula degeneration....??? What optics work better then others....??? What NON-optic sighting options work better then others...???

I don't have macular degeneration but my wife does and she likes to hunt and shoot. One thing she really believes in is taking preservision. Sorry off topic. Anyway her right eye is much worse than her left eye. She is right handed. But we switched her over to shooting left handed. For her the only thing that she has found that she can see well enough to shoot is a good quality scope. Not really much of an answer, but that is our experience. Good luck and best wishes.

Yes........same for me, I have to now learn to shoot left handed, if using a scope. But I can still use my right eye with handgun sights. I wonder if a single vertical post that comes to a sharp point would work. It kind'a sucks when they tell you take these vitamins, and hope it develops slowly.

Last edited:
Yes it does suck. Have you had to have a shot in the eye. I really felt sorry for my wife when they did that. My wife gets along better with scopes that lean towards the thicker cross hairs. A post might work well. Don't have any of those. Have you ever tried any kind of peep site? Not sure how that might help. But it is a different type of site. Hope you can come up with something that keeps you in the game.

I find that posts do not work well for me. I use peep sights if shooting iron sights, something similar to vernier sights. The front sight with the open little circle works best instead of the cross hair or post. Aligning both front and rear circles provides me with the best accuracy. I use redfield sights on my Winchester 52C and Remington 513T up to 200 yards, and vernier sights on my Sharps rifle.

You could consider a red dot with a larger Moa dot preferably one that has a green illumination reticle. I find that green is easier to see in the daylight. I have a Vortex 3X Prism that provides a choice between red or green illumination with multiple intensity settings of brightness that could be beneficial.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.