M1A loads

thanks

Nomad
I checked out M14 forum great info learned allot thank you

LeMay
I was going to use IMR 4064 and LC brass with CCI BR2 primers I cant get and Federal right now. What it you OAL and have you had any issues with extraction? Also who is the maker of your rifle?

I had very good results with: 168 gr. Sierra Matchkings, 42 gr. Ramshot TAC, Lake City Brass, and WLR primers. This powder burns exceptionally clean, with hardly any black on the brass. With a solid rest I was getting .5 MOA accuracy. Worked great in highpower matches also.

You're on the right track. I haven't used any of the new powders, but LC match or N/M brass with Fed 210M primers, 41.5 gr 4064 and a 168 gr Smkhp was my load (and a lot of other shooters) for M1A's when I was shooting gas guns.

If you get a chance, try some of the LC M852 N/M ammo. It was as good as (or better than) my handloads. I think it was loaded with 4895. Also, if you can find some of the Federal Match that came in red boxes, it was on a par with the M 852 LC. I don't think that the Fed Gold Medal Match is as good as the red box was. Don't know why.

Enjoy; M1A's are fine rifles. Tom

thanks

LR6mm
Thanks for the load I will try it out

Specweldtom
I have about 400rds of the LC ammo I shot maybe 20rds through my rifle so far. I dont know about accurcy yet I just got a scope mount and hevent realy shot it for groups yet. I have shot some IPSC targets at 700yds with open sights from the prone and managed to keep them in a group of about 6" with some ball ammo. I think the rifle will do what I want it to to when I get the scope on.

The rifle is a preban Armscorp NM I got it from my buddys dad who shot it at matches. He had upgraded to a new springfield and I got a hell of a deal. I just got a Sadlak ind scope mount in the mail the other day but I dont have it mounted yet. I still dont know a M1A smith that I trust!

Rifle is bedded
Trigger is done to 3.5 pounds
It's wearing a NM barrel from Armscorp
I had the stock dipped in film in a desert cammo pattern
I added a Fulton Armory forward sling mout with M1913 rail for my bipod
I think I am going to use some Rino liner on the butt it is allways slipping off my shoulder

ICAN, is your ammo M118 white box or M852? the M852 has a knurled ring near the back of the case and the 168 Smkhp, and is very hard to find. The M118 has the old 172 gr full patch bullet. The M852 is better ammo in my opinion. There was also some brown box M118 special ball that had the 172 gr bullet. I never had a M1A that would shoot the special ball, and when I quit match shooting, that was what they were issuing for leg matches, except at Perry. Check the rules if you decide to shoot CMP matches. I think we used to have to lift 4 1/2 lbs on the trigger.

6" at 700 yards is very fine shooting. Sounds like you have a winner. You may actually not like a scope on the rifle. I have had a couple of good rigs on mine (A.R.M.S. and Swan mounts with Leupold, and Tasco Super Sniper), but always ended up taking them off.

Something that may be useful; I never stored an M1A (or N/M Garand) clamped up. It will gradually lose its preload and compress the stock under the bedding. A good one will shoot 1 moa or better when first clamped up, and in 3-5 rounds will be back at its best.

I was acquainted with Glen Nelson, Clint Pyle, and Don Benson. The performance of their rifles prompted me to try it myself, and I was never disappointed. I tried to shoot mouse guns, but never had the confidence in them that I had in the .30 cals. I predict you will get hooked on this rifle.

Sorry I got so long-winded.

I'd like to hear how you like it with the scope. Tom

Last edited:
I am hooked

Specweldtom

The ammo is 118LR in the brown box with the 175g SMK. There are no matches in the area were I live. I shoot in farm fields mostly.

I fell in love with the M14 when I was in the NAVY it is the first battle rifle I ever fired and the first rifle I fired on full auto(I DID NOT HIT **** AT 20yds FROM THE PRONE WRAPED IN TO THE SLING)

After I left the NAVY for the ARMY I went to Afghanistan and M14 were all over, in small numbers at first but then more and more. I just had to have one and when I got home I got one.

Now I am here in IRAQ and so is the M14 and all I have is my little M4 I wish I could get one but there is no justifaction for me to have one. Its funny the way it works out all there kids that get the rifle shoved in the hands have no idea what to do with it. But I help them out I brought some of my stuff from home to help them out and it help's my team integrate with the infintry company better when we help them out.

ICAN, The first centerfire rifle I ever fired was a Garand (in the Navy). I had never seen anything so powerful, and was hooked from the first shot. When I got out it was the second centerfire rifle that I bought. The first was a $25 Mauser Kar 98, because I couldn't afford a Garand.

Let me know if I can help with anything. I have finally learned how to use the P/M feature, and my email is [email protected].

Godspeed, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.