M1 vs. Target turret?

Franklin

Which style turret do you guys prefer on a leupold scope for big game hunting, and why? Keep in mind, this will be dragged through trees, cliffs and in and out of horse scabbards.

If the scope is going to be dragged around alot, I would recommend some type of turret that you can put caps over so it doesn't get turned out of zero unintentionally. The Leupold Mark 4's that I have, all have turrets that don't have any covering over the adjustment turrets.

It would be most inconvenient to drag your rifle out of a horse scabbard only to have the turret turn around during the drag out, not notice it and try and take a shot because you presume your scope is still zeroed. Maybe I'm just nervous about those things, but I like to check everything that can change before taking a shot. Knowing that the turret is secure could speed things up because you would know the rifle hasn't gone out of adjustment.

There are scopes out there you could drive nails with..
But by the time you spend so much, for such a scope, I'm thinkin you'll wanna take care of it.

A $20 hammer would work better,, so I recommend open sights..

What Mike is saying is that if youre going to spend so much on a scope, dont drag it around and abuse it. Since you wont want to abuse it, it really wont matter what turrets you get.

As a personal note, my exclusive sheep hunting scope is a mark 4 fixed 10x with M1 turrets. It has been on many very rugged tough hunts through the alders and devils club and up on into the cliffs. I have never had a turret turn without me wanting to. The M1 turrets do not move easily. It takes deliberate action to turn the knob. I prefer ther knobs on my NXS and my mark 4 over the type that take caps. I have used both extensively and it seems like caps get lost in the field often and it is one more step to set up on a shot when time is running out. Just my opinion here.

Neither my M4's or VX-III's have covers on the turrets. The M-I's don't come with them and the target turret covers all got lost in the field:) The M-4's are tough scopes and if you are beating on one enough to turn a turret that would be the least of your problems. You are more likely to forget to reset a turret from a pior shot then knock one off zero.

I have not had any of my turrets get accidentally turned while packing the rifle around hunting, but I don't use the M1's either. I understand the concern that it COULD happen being taken out of or placed into the horse scabbard. For that reason, I'd recommend the target turrets with caps. Honestly, I think if you have time to dial on the elevation, you have time to take the cap off. But I'd be the last one to take advise from as I don't have any experience with the M1's. I've used the capped turrets, and prefer the M3 knobs on Leupolds. Best of luck to ya!

Thanks for the info guys. I understood what mikecr was saying. I don't plan on abusing the scope, but I've never had one without caps. I just want to make sure I make an educated decision before I send this scope off to have these installed.

Which style turret do you guys prefer on a leupold scope for big game hunting, and why? Keep in mind, this will be dragged through trees, cliffs and in and out of horse scabbards.

I have a Mdl. 70 with the Leupold M1 turrets that I use horse back and as a carry rifle. I just developed a habit of quickly looking at the turret and can tell if they have moved. Have not had one rotate yet and would not be a big deal if it did. I prefer the exposed turret it's just simpler.

One other thing if it's a carry rifle and you hand carry it a lot like I do then you might want to just put the elevation knob on as the M1 windage knob sticks out to the side far enough that it hits right at your wrist if you carry it with your right hand and is very uncomfortable. After putting up with mine for two years I'm going to send it in and have them take it off. The wind is a darn guess most of the time anyway. If it was a dedicated long range rifle then I would have both.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.