M-14 in .338 Win MAG

texas

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm going to the gun show this up coming weekend to see if i can find a used M-14. Found someone that rebuilds them to handle the 338 win mag using a BAR magazine with 8 rounds. So now what type of stocks are you auto guys using? I'm happy to be able to claim a band LR brothers
grin.gif

Shhhhh. Armalite is working on a 300 Mag. I think it's going to be a Remington short mag instead of the Winchester short mag. IMHO you would be better off with the Armalite for many reasons. Cost, barrel replacemnt, aftermarket options, and that great flat top, heavy barrel design. Most 308 AR10Ts will shoot around .5 MOA.

I like that idea
grin.gif
. Maybe they will take warrens' .408 and run with it also
tongue.gif
. Nothing wrong with a little competition.

Driving to the target.

My father has the AR10T and a FAL in .308. The adjustable gas block on the FAL is far superior to any other auto including my M14. The op rod in the M14 is said to bend or break with stiff loads. How the 338wm works in one I wonder. The gas tube length was critical to function and accuracy in development of the AR10. The AR10 has the advantage of interchangable topends in 243 also. The stock I got for my M14 was from Fred's and is a camo'd takeoff synthetic, super tight and shoots great. My dad will be happy about the 300SRUM AR10, He bought a box of 300WSM last week and has been working on fitting the magazine for them.

I know there are adjustable gas blocks for the AR15. I don't see any reason why they couldn't be used on the AR10. I forgot to mention that Armalite has a prototype magnum already built and although what I read said they intend to go into production, I don't know how serious they are. I know they have been courting the military lately and hence have been putting a lot of their time into that effort.

TheM-14 is fitted with a Garand-type feed system, receiver and trigger group. He uses the Garandfeed because the .338's lenght is too long to fit in the M-14 magazine. Using a BAR magazine he can load 8 rounds. How's that for firepower
grin.gif
His name is Tim LeGendre out of MI, (248)634-1312

Driving to the target.

LRH, the only adjustable gas block I've seen is JP Enterprise's, it could be adapted, but in my opinion it's junk and one can design a better one easily, that doesn't require an allen wrench to adjust. Hope that 300SRUM upper moves along quickly.

If you can't wait and want an AR type here you are RND MFG.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.