lyman turret reloader

nhoj

i am thinking of getting into reloading and am wondering if this reloader will do a good job. or if other turret presses would be better to purchase, thank you.

We have the Lyman turret press and like it because we can have all our dies on the turrets (4 now) and just interchange the turret when switching calibers.

1kstr

I have an old six hole Lyman turret press I rarely use anymore. I thought it would be good idea but it didn't work that way for me, just a solution to a non-problem. I can screw-change dies in about 15 seconds so how much time might it save in a two hour loading session? Maybe two minutes if I do two calibers! And, for precision work, no turret can be a rigid as a single stage. Fact of life, there has to be a little slack in that turret or it couldn't turn.

Mounting dies in a turret and leaving them wouldn't work for me. I take my dies out after each loading session and clean the interiours before putting them away.

I'd get a Lee Classic Turret if I was determined to have one of that type. Massive, strong and not too expensive.

I also have an RCBS single stage that I use for the more precise work that I like on my 6BR. Depends on what you wanna do. I have never felt the turret press was making inadequate reloads but think it better suits smaller non magnum calibers because of the slight give, if you will, vs. the single stage. The single stage works better when resizing the larger cases.

What do you plan to reload with it?

1kstr

Take a look at the Redding T-7. It's the nicest of the production (not "boutique") turret jobs. People who use it are very pleased.

thanks for the info. i have never reloaded before and i am looking for info. i guess a good start would be to read a reloading manual to understand the basic info thanks again

I got started in reloading with this press. Its a good press, but I just dont trust it enough for precision ammo. The only issue I have had with it is just a tiny amount of play in the tool head when you are sizing the brass. This is still present even when you tighten down the support screw on the back side of the turret. Ive all ways felt that the movement has to show up in the resized case even though Ive never found any on my concentricity gage. I guess its just one of those gut feelings. For all of my precision loading I chose to load on a Redding big boss II, that I KNOW is solid!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.