Turret Press Lyman-Redding thoughts

dig

Commited to moving up to a Turret press to save some time and steps. Any one have experiance with the Lyman TII, checked it out it look very heavy and the Turrets are reasonably priced. Any practical experiance appreciated.

Sorry I can't comment on the Lyman as I have never been around one, but,,, as I recently stated in another thread , I have been loading on a Redding T-7 for about 3 years now. I feel they are awesome presses and I am producing the truest ammo I ever have in 33 years of reloading. I am getting ready to set up a new reloading room and I just bought a second T-7 so I can have 2 ready to go. I like them that much.

Jeff

Thanks, the Redding is certainly on the list as well, been looking at that and using Redding equip for a while.

Dittos on Broz comments in re the redding T-7. I've used one for years, and been very well satisfied with it. Wouldn't hesitate to buy anopther one if I needed more die stations, and had the room on the bench.

I've been using the Redding T-7 since it came out.. Great press. I'm a big fan of RCBS.. and have used their turret 6 stage press, which works great, but that one extra station on the T-7 really comes in handy.

I bought three additional turrets for my T-7. Makes swapping calibers a breeze!

i also have a redding turret press and would reccomend it to anyone wanting a turret press.
i also have a redding boss press and frankly like it better.
alot depends on your style of loading and how fast you want to get it done.
i like to do one step at a time with all the cases i intend loading.
i deprime all cases with a decapping die on a seperate press.

Fill me in on the advantages of the 7 station. Can you put a powder measure in a spot? Im thinking faster 223 ammo and such, sound great that it is very accurate. Thanks

Well I suppose you could if you have a high enough drop tower on the powder measure, so you'd clear the height of the other die's..

Last edited:
The Redding Uniflow QuickChange Powder Measure is already threaded for 7/8" X 14 sockets. So, one could mount it on the turret.

My impression is that this could work if you need space on your bench. But it is unlikely to be of much use for a semi-progressive arrangement where you index the turret forward a notch for each operation. All that would do is save the time of inserting the shell into the shell holder twice or three times and set you up for double and no charge events -- bad news!!

I mount my powder measure on a separate bench and use 50-hole load blocks so I can visually inspect each case for presence of powder and powder height.

Lyman TII? I have a Lyman T-Mag II if that's what you mean.

It's ok if you just want to put bullets down range. But, when I began to notice consistency problems with runout, I switched to the Forster Bonanza Co-Ax Press.

It's not a Turret. But, you can swap dies just about as fast as you can rotate the T-Mag.

There is no comparison. The Forster hands down cranks out better results.

My RCBS Chargemaster dispenses powder as fast as I can seat bullets.

I would also take a look at Dillon if I wanted a progressive setup.

Last edited:
Dig -

I have a Lyman T Turret press that I've been reloading with since 1988 and not one problem - knock on wood! I don't know much about the Redding presses as I have no experience with them except I hear they are well built just like the Lyman and other good presses.
My press is well built and heavy and you can still get parts for them if ever needed. I bought another turret some time ago so I can change calibers easier once the dies fill up a turret. I use one turret for handgun and one for rifle - turret change is a snap, works for me.

Sharktown

Same ? What do you gain with 7 station, multple caliber dies? Im used to your basic size and seat. Explain some common set ups for reloading

Same ? What do you gain with 7 station, multple caliber dies? Im used to your basic size and seat. Explain some common set ups for reloading

You can have two 3 die sets for two calibers or 3 two die sets for 3 different cals. and still have an extra hole for ?? A bullet puller ?? or when your buddy comes over with his dies and wants to load a few. The extra hole leaves all your dies set up and essentially you have a single stage press open for whatever.lightbulb

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.