Lucked out again on Elk

JRY46

Went out 2nd Colorado season this year to avoid some of the cold and snow we usually have during 4th........ Whoops that didn't work! This was our 2nd time ever for an over the counter tag and like one of the earlier posts here on LRH it it was weird. We ran into fence riders chasing the elk back into their private land for their clients and had camps set up on the fence line of the private land we were hunting, and the cold and snow. However all these things all worked out to our advantage. With the deep snow up high and all the pressure on the back side of the property, we had Elk moving all day long. I missed a nice 4x5 on the second morning, and had 2 other bulls coming in the 3rd day only to be shot by someone else in our group.
My buddy and I were watching a big bowl that always had elk in it on the 5th afternoon and then we noticed a spike and small bull WAY up behind us on top of a mountain. Luckily for me, my buddy was due for a Knee replacement a week after we got home so he wanted no part of that climb. It took me and the guide about 1 1/2 hrs to cut the distance down to 200 yards. We had a great hiding spot in the brush with the wind in our favor and after catching my breath and settling in on the sticks he turned broadside for a good shot. He took about 4 steps after the 300 WSM with 168 gr Barnes TTSX went off and went crashing down the hill side. He's not as big as my first one last year, but I will always remember the stalk and a couple of funny things that happened on the pack out the next morning!
I cant hardly wait till next year and see what happens then!!!!
2019 bull.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.