Lt weight scope suggestions for LRH.

Alan Griffith

This past few months I have been on a quest to find a scope, suitable for my LRH needs. Thus my purpose of coming here to ask the members their opinions. My rifle, a Rem 700 in 30-06 Ackley Imp has a light weight theme. It used to weigh 6 lb 7 oz when it was a 22" 30-06 w/ Leupold M8 4x. Now, with a more powerful scope for LRH I'm trying to keep it under 8 lbs, preferably under 7.5 lbs. I tried the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 and the weight was acceptable but other things such as worrying about the repeatability was unacceptable to me. I never fully evaluated the Nikon but figured bigger was better. Thus my step up to the IOR 3-18x42mm. I freakin love this scope, the optics, reticle, repeatability; except the advertised weight is 22 oz and the actual weight is 29. The weight brought my rifles weight upto 8lb 3 oz. Thus my reason to sell the IOR.

I've looked at the Nightforce and US optics but that would only exagerate my weight dilema. The new Nikon Monarch X is not available yet. It would meet the 8lb criteria but not the 7.5 lb critera. I hear Nikon's cust service is quite lacking and lengthy.

Back to Leupold and either a 4.5-14 or 6.5x20. Undecided about a 40mm or 50mm obj lens. I realize the optics glass is not the same quality as the the European stuff. In a LRH situation, will the extra 10mm of obj lens diameter and 5 oz of weight make a differece in shooting big game out to say 800 yds, my self imposed limit? Is the Leupold repeatable and does it track well? Are the tough as nails? I'm plannng a Dall/Grizzly hunt for 2008 or 2009 and I sure don't need Murphy along for the ride!

Zeiss? Great optics but I believe their range of adjustment is lacking. How is their 30mm lineup?

A common dilema. Everything's a compromise. I'd say your best bet is a Leupold. I may go a different direction in the future, but for now I cave into the sentiment below....
I freakin love this scope, the optics, reticle, repeatability;
There are several other scopes from different brands I'm sure I'd also feel the above about but they all come with that weight penalty. Actually, the 3-18 will be the lightest of the bunch. For now, I'm willing to carry it.

I do try and save weight elsewhere. Switching from a steel base and standard Badger rings to an aluminum base and Seekins (even 6 screw!) saved me 6 oz. I'm really hoping Caldwel will finally make their titanium bipods as they look like they'd work well and the big one should save around 10 oz from the Harris I usually carry. I resisted the urge for a fatter barrel or heavier stock for my rifle....

Anyway, this is a common problem. I feel your pain. ;)

i have a leupold vx-II ultralite that i have been tring to sell. its a 3-9X33 but its in nickle color. very very light. huntinfool18

Have you looked at the Weaver Grand Slam's? I have several of them and couldn't be happier with the tracking and clarity.

I would look at a Kahles 3-9 with TDS reticle or the Swarovski 3-10 or 4-12 with TDS.

Light weight and the TDS will allow shots to 600 plus without touching a knob.

Snipershide has a 4-12 Swarovski with TDS for $750 which is a great deal for a $1300 scope.

BH

Alan,

Best scope I have used for a light weight scope that works well for dialing up is the Leupold 3.5-10x 40mm Mark4 FFP. This is a very light scope for this class of scope. I believe its only 20 or 21 oz. I have one on my lightweight 7mm AM and it has worked extremely well.

I really like the FFP reticle as I can use the TMR reticle for hold adjustment and its consistant for all power ranges not just a single one like most other scopes made in the US.

Sure it is not as bright as some of the larger objective scopes but its plenty bright for any legal big game hunting situations. Used mine last fall to take 6 head of big game animals with a total of 7 shots fired. The one miss was my set up error, not the scope or the rifles problem.

Average range on those 6 critters was 628 yards with the farthest being 745 yards.

10x is plenty to shoot big game out to well past 1000 yards so do not get to upset about the power range. You can mount the scope very low to the bore which in a lightweight rifle is generally critical as stocks generally do not have overly generous CPs.

This would be my vote and if I need another scope to fill my needs such as this, it will be another Mk4 3.5-10x 40mm TMR FFP.

Only thing better would be if Leupold would get off their rears and make the same scope in a 4.5-14x 40mm in the Mk4 FFP.

Kirby Allen(50)

For my 300 WSM Win Featherweight rifle weight was a major factor when it came to the scope. I settled with the Burris 4.5-14X32mm Short mag scope with Ballistic Plex reticle. At 15 oz and $332 at SWFA it a great scope. It's 11.3 inches long has great optics, very good light transmission.

I liked mine enough that I put one on my sons Fetherweight .243 and we'll be putting another on my other son's .243 featherweight.

Optics are as good as Leupold.

Hope it helps

I had the same dilemma. Finally have settled on a FFP Schmidt bender classic 3-12 x 42, with a P4 fine reticle ( mil based), and external turrets. Currently waiting for the scope to arrive.

The IOR 3-18X42 is only 22 oz. The 2-12X32 is 18 oz but for long range stuff that 18 power is on the first scope is great.

SES50,

When I weighed my 3-18x42mm at 29 oz I was shocked. I even went two doors down from my office to a Post Mart to use their certified postal scales. Same 29 oz. I was able to obtain another example and the exact same weight on the same two scales.

I'm curious, what has been your experience with weighing the 3-18x42mm?

Every bit of info I can find on the internet puts it at 22 oz. Wish my experience was just that!

If you can live with 10mag max then I'd suggest looking at

IOR 2.5-10*42. Lit MP8 (centre dot version) reticle - CM (1/10miliradian) clicks - FFP reticle.

Lovely little scope - MUCH lighter than the 3-18. Well pleased with mine.

251421.jpg

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10157-292-ior-25-10x42-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

WAY cheaper than the Leupold too. Like 25% cheaper.

Alan,

I have always got my data from the valdada website. I have one that is not on a rifle and just weighed it. You are right it is 29 oz for the scope, 1.25 oz for the sun shade and 4 oz per scope ring. I take back my earlier thread saying it was a good light weight scope. Now it is just a good scope.

Sherman

SES50,

When I weighed my 3-18x42mm at 29 oz I was shocked. I even went two doors down from my office to a Post Mart to use their certified postal scales. Same 29 oz. I was able to obtain another example and the exact same weight on the same two scales.

I'm curious, what has been your experience with weighing the 3-18x42mm?

Every bit of info I can find on the internet puts it at 22 oz. Wish my experience was just that!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts