LRI barrel fluting question

I haven't had any work done in the last couple years but, back then I received pictures of every step of the process. I still have pics of the zero fill, inletting, bedding & cerakoting of the stock & barreled action.

Pretty awesome CS.

t

That's why we can all make our own decisions.

I've never seen any proof that fluting causes a change in accuracy.....so let's see if anyone has an accurate barrel that they sent in for fluting that is no longer accurate--- anyone have real world proof? I'm betting there might be a few that have but im also betting a lot that haven't too. I love to see real world results as they help me make decisions for my situation.

I've personally seen some killer accurate rifles with fluted barrels

Some of the most "harmonic free" barrels are "structured barrels" and they use unique structures and "fluting designs" to stop the harmonics of a barrel-- here is a pic of the outside of one of this type of barrel
View attachment 416525
From all the reading I have done on fluting it changes the action of the barrel. It stands to reason, if you remove metal from the barrel their isn't as metal to control the barrel wipe. If you want it to look cool then flut it. Less metal less strength. I don't get bull barrels to remove metals, because I wanted a heaver barrel.

I've read several posts/articles warning that fluting a button rifled barrel can have negative effects. Though, i've never personally seen it.

I think out of every rifle i've had rebarreled, only one is not fluted. They all shoot better than I can 🤷‍♂️. If it removes strength, I'd really like to see some quantifiable evidence.

t

I've read several posts/articles warning that fluting a button rifled barrel can have negative effects. Though, i've never personally seen it.

I think out of every rifle i've had rebarreled, only one is not fluted. They all shoot better than I can 🤷‍♂️. If it removes strength, I'd really like to see some quantifiable evidence.

t
I believe there is MORE strength or stiffness since there is more surface area.

Dropped off 2 model 70s with Eric the manager at LRI on Monday July 11th. got the first one back in 8 1/2 weeks
(extractor work and bolt bushing) Got the 2nd one back in 16 1/2 weeks. New Bartlein 26" #3 .270 flut B and bolt bushing , stock barrel channel, full glass bead.
total rifle weight with scope is still under 10 pounds.
T.P.

Pick the RIGHT Barrel Contour ( Weight & Length ) that, you really, want / NEED, to begin with, and,.. SKIP the Fluting !
You could, "turn" those Heavy weight Barrels Down a Bit to, Lighten up.
SOMETIMES, Fluting without, "Stress Relieving" the Steel, "can" cause, Groups,.. "Walking",.. IF, barrel gets Hot, during the Fluting Process.
Probably NOT an "Issue" with LRI doing, the Work !

Last edited:
Pick the RIGHT Barrel Contour ( Weight & Length ) that, you really, want / NEED, to begin with, and,.. SKIP the Fluting !
You could, "turn" those Heavy weight Barrels Down a Bit to, Lighten up.
SOMETIMES, Fluting without, "Stress Relieving" the Steel, "can" cause, Groups,.. "Walking",.. IF, barrel gets Hot, during Process.
Probably NOT an "Issue" with LRI doing, the Work !

That alludes to my previous post. I believe the "stress relieving" is only possible with button rifled barrels where the material is displaced; rather than removed like is don't with conventional cut rifling.

t

That alludes to my previous post. I believe the "stress relieving" is only possible with button rifled barrels where the material is displaced; rather than removed like is don't with conventional cut rifling.

t
I have had two button rifle barrels, fluted, and they did not shoot as well as I believe they should have. Both were Lilja's. I then had them sent to 300 below to have them cryogenically treated. They did get slightly better and definitely more consistent. I believe it's very important that you stress reliever button rifled barrel after you flute them. Additionally, I believe spiral fluting doesn't causes much stress on a button rifle barrel because the metal is removed evenly from the breech to the muzzle over the top of the lands and grooves Inside the barrel. Not sure if that makes any sense, but essentially a straight flute removes metal that could be directly over a land or groove. Where is the spiral spreads that out evenly.

I have had two button rifle barrels, fluted, and they did not shoot as well as I believe they should have. Both were Lilja's. I then had them sent to 300 below to have them cryogenically treated. They did get slightly better and definitely more consistent. I believe it's very important that you stress reliever button rifled barrel after you flute them. Additionally, I believe spiral fluting doesn't causes much stress on a button rifle barrel because the metal is removed evenly from the breech to the muzzle over the top of the lands and grooves Inside the barrel. Not sure if that makes any sense, but essentially a straight flute removes metal that could be directly over a land or groove. Where is the spiral spreads that out evenly.

It would seem that would be reversed since the lands and grooves are spiraled on the inside, but then I am ignorant about things like this

You are probably right. I am just not explaining it properly. Two different builders told me , but I can't articulate it clearly

I did exactly what the OP is asking for a .22 creedmoor with a Bart #3b and asked Kaley for "MAX FLUTE". LRI will make it super deep spiral flutes… I'm very happy with the results. LRI took very good care of me keeping me posted on every step of the way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    691.8 KB · Views: 111
Kampfeld did a test years ago...shot an unfluted barrel and then fluted it, no change in group size.

Sure a fluted barrel might not shoot as well every once in a while, but how's the chamber? The crown? Ammo? Etc etc...it's hard to say it's the flutes fault unless you shot it before it was fluted and changed nothing.